Wednesday, November 19, 2003

News Bulletin

It's certainly nice to have my weatherpixie back, but I don't like her being wrong. I think I may have to browse a bit to see if there are cities closer to me than B'burg.

I'm sitting at my computer writing this at 9:09. I'm home. I left for work at 8:40, but didn't make it. Our town seems to be underwater at the moment.

I slept through a large part of my alarm this morning, got up, raced to the shower, got some clothes, and dressed. It was only when I came to check my email that I bothered to look outside. The creek behind my house has overflowed. It's up into my yard, a little over halfway. It's never been this high before, even back in the May after I moved here when the whole damn area was underwater. It shocked me, and I started to worry.

Then I started thinking about it. There was no busy morning traffic going by my house this morning. I heard sirens several times. I still hear random sirens.

I got in the car to start to work, but I already pretty much knew the drill. I was right. No access to town. College Ave intersection blocked off, they made me turn right. I proceeded up Tazewell Ave, then took a quick left that would lead me to Virginia Ave, the main street through town. Turned left, making a little square back towards town. Another intersection blocked, routed me left. One more block and a right turn later, I was back on College, heading home.

I almost got to be too smart (and curious) for my own good. On the way back home, I passed up my house and went a little way on to see how far the water was up. When I turned around to start back to my house...they'd changed the blocking towards town. They were trying to route me somewhere else. I had to get out in the rain and explain to a policeman that my house was only a few feet down the road and I was trying to get to it. He kindly let me go through the roadblock.

So here I sit. There's a huge pool of water in my front yard, and the creek's raging into my back yard. My poor next-door neighbor Shirley has water almost up to the back of her house. Her front yard's a pond. There's water pouring out of the drains built into the mountain across from my house, into the road. And there are still sirens.

It's a bit of a worrying time. Please keep a good thought for us today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home