Thursday, December 18, 2003

In Lieu of Lunch

Bah Humbug, no that's too strong
Cause it is my favorite holiday
But all this year's been a busy blur
Don't think I have the energy....


Hi, boys and girls. I'm sitting here on my lunch hour. I've decided to eschew lunch for a quickie blog. (that would make an interesting blog name: Kwik-E Blog.)

And lunch isn't all I'm eschewing, I'm afraid. The decision is made, the die is cast. I shan't be getting a Christmas Tree this year. I made the decision yesterday. I'd left it so late because I was so not in the Christmas spirit, then I kept thinking if I didn't get a tree I'd just be a big fat Christmas failure. Then yesterday I realized hell, even if I got a tree that very day I couldn't decorate it till tonight, which is exactly one week from the holiday anyway. So instead I'm taking my tree lights and putting them around the inside of my window for a little festive lighting, and I'll find a way to put a few things around and a place to stack my presents, if I ever finish buying them and begin wrapping them. Just to see if I can make the place look a little Christmasy without a tree.

Speaking of procrastination, I'm also carrying around with me as we speak a boxed gift and two to-be-mailed-overseas Christmas cards. None of which I know will get to their destinations on time. It wouldn't bother me so much (well, the gift does, I want it to get there on time), but for the lecture I always get at the Post Office about how I wasn't prompt again this year, and I did know that these things won't be arriving till after Christmas, thus making the baby Jesus cry.

Postal Officials = Nazis in blue outfits.

On the upside, however, I've received enough cards to start displaying, which is cool. And work has been really fun this week. See, we've completed all our set goals already, so we're basically just coasting this week, with the occasional shitty interruption by someone actually needing some TheCompanyIWorkFor service. How dare they, this close to the holidays. We've decided to string out all our gifts as long as possible and have a kind of "12 Days of Christmas" thing. So we brought all our gifts for each other, but we're opening them one at a time. One person gets one one day, another person gets one the next, and so on. So far I've gotten a really cool magazine rack (that I may end up putting sheet music in), and today I got a great charm bracelet filled with - yes, folks - all kinds of tiny charms of pocketbooks. Someone must have noticed my two-pocketbook coup.

And, I got a scandalous, hilarious, and wondrous gift yesterday from the DeepFatFriar himself. Am I allowed to tell what it is, Friar? He wouldn't let me open it at work, so I don't know if he'll let me shout from the rooftops of cyberspace what it is.

And finally, the snow is peppering down here now, as it has been all morning. That can't help but make things a little Christmasier. I have to go the grocery after work and get some appetizers for a party I'm going to tomorrow, and some ingredients (or gredients, as Taytie used to say when he was a toddler playing "Let's Cook") for some cookies for the office. (I'm excited about the party - people are going to be playing board games, so I hear.)

Now back to work. I think I'll make my list for the grocery there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home