Saturday, January 17, 2004

Mission Accomplished

I'm now in possession of a brick from the rubble that once was our Town Hall. It was funny, actually....

I got in the car to head the, what, ¼ mile downtown at about 12:30 am. As luck would have it, there were two cop cars about 50 yards from the site. Not guarding, gossiping. As small-town cops do, I guess, sitting there window-to-window talking to each other.

So I drove around the block a few times and in and out of a few side streets. Still there. I drove into a couple of neighborhoods, eventually making the big square of main roads that leads back into downtown. They were still there! Don't cops do anything anymore?

One more foray around town, I thought, and if they're not gone this time, I'll just forget it and go home to bed. After all, it was now about 1 am. So one more circle around town, and lo and behold, this time the cars had scuttled off to wherever cops scuttle off to in the wee hours of a Saturday morning when nothing's going on in the town. (WalMart, probably. Open 24 hours a day and all the coffee they can drink.)

A-ha! I thought, and pulled up beside the curb at the rubble. I shoved the car into park, hopped out, bent myself under the yellow "Police - Do Not Cross" tape, picked a nice brick for myself, back under the tape, and hopped back into my car.

"Home free!" I smirked, as I closed the door. I then leaned to the floor of the passenger side of the podmobile to lay the brick down, and I heard a tremendous "BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" Holy shit! I'd leaned a little too far and hit my own car horn, almost giving myself a coronary, a stroke, and a perfect opportunity to pee my pants all at the same time.

But once I realized the town was still completely empty and my crime had been pulled off, I headed the ¼ mile back home.

It was fun. I think next I'm learning to make a Molotov Cocktail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home