Friday, January 30, 2004

This Blog Has No Purpose

I found myself on the road this past Wednesday, to Roanoke and then back home. A couple of hours each way. It was a horrendous trip down, big snowstorm, 40 mph winds, bright sun, frozen windshield wipers, and ugliness of all kinds.

For the trip down I listened to my newly-burned Gillian Welch mix CD, which was very fine, let me tell you. Very fine. On the way back, I found myself listening to the local public radio station, yes, my NPR friends that have on dual occasions featured my far-from-dulcet tones reading essays.

And it's for that reason that I really hate to say this. I would normally advise against biting the hand that feeds one, but since in this case one doesn't get paid for her essays, I guess maybe one can get away with it.

There was an announcer on there who really got up my nose.

He immediately got right on my bad side by committing one of the greatest sins of mankind in my book. He played the "Light Cavalry" Overture by von Suppe, and announced it as the "Light Calvary" Overture. Oh, it's bad enough to have to hear that at all over the airwaves, but on public radio? Not to be allowed. Then, as if that weren't enough, it was quite a crappy arrangement of the song, but because I'm a benevolent crumudgeon, I'll let that go.

Then later on he played a Sonata by some dude named Gregorio someone. And he announced it as, and I'll type this phonetically, "Sonata In A Kay." At first I thought he was going to say "Sonata In A Cave," which would have been interesting.

And I kept wracking my brain. Maybe it's foreign: "Sonata En Es Que." or "Sonata In A Quay."

Then I got to thinking beyond the realms of good reason and deciding it was a key. "No, no, my Sonata no in-a C, or-a D, my Sonata in-a K. Key of-a K. Five sharps and five flats. Key of-a K."

Then I realized I'd been on the road way too long and tried to clear my head. Turns out, after the song, he announced it was "Sonata In A-Minor."

Though he may have meant, for those of us in the hills, "Sonata In A Miner."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home