Friday, March 12, 2004

To end Movie Week, I thought I'd do a random list of movies I think about from time to time. No, this isn't my Top Ten Movies of All Time. Just.....

10 Movies I Love And The Reasons Why

Matewan: Local history. Beautiful camerawork. First time I ever saw two of my acting favorites, David Strathairn and Chris Cooper. Hazel Dickens singing "Fire In The Hole" and "The Gathering Storm." John Sayles as the preacher. The way storylines are written around sermons. "I wouldn't pee on him if his heart was on fire." The union baseball game.

O Brother, Where Art Thou: The title, for starters. Cameos by musicians Jerry Douglas, Ed Snodderly, and Gillian Welch. Delmar's soul. "I'm gonna R-U-N-N-O-F-T!" The shot of the two kids walking in the middle of nowhere, in 120 degree heat, carrying a block of ice. A man is actually run out of town on a rail. Those fake beards. "Gopher, Everett?" The "unaffiliated" George Clooney.

Pulp Fiction: The conversation between Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta (Royale With Cheese). The out-of-sequence scenes. Jackrabbit Slim's. The little square Uma draws on the screen. Link Wray's "The Rumble." The watch story. The wallet that says "Bad Motherfucker." The twist contest. "Aww man, I shot Marvin in the face!" The use of "Flowers On The Wall." Big Kahuna Burger.

Monsters, Inc: Herryhausen's. The adorableness of Boo. "Put that thing back where it came from or so help meeee~" Boo handing Sulley her toys: a Jessie doll, a Nemo fish, and the ball from "Luxor." The scene on the scare floor that mirrors the scene in "The Right Stuff." Mike borrowing Sulley's "odorant" - "wet dog." Celia's snake hair, especially when they have neck braces. The door chase, which would still make a great roller coaster ride. "Mike Wazowski!" The incredible expression they get on Mike's face when he tells Sulley, "There is no you and me anymore; this time you're on your own." The incredible expression on Sulley's face at the end when he sees Boo again.

Sling Blade: Carl's walk. It's the Billy Bob we loved before he went loopy and started wearing blood. Frank, one of the great kid characters of all time, played to perfection by Lucas Black. "I like the way you talk." John Ritter. The bookmark that says "You Will Be Happy." Vic Chestnutt as one of the band members. Doyle saying, "I don't mean to be so...well, assholish is I guess what you'd call it." JT Walsh. "Hades - some folks call it Hell, I call it Hades." James Hampton from "F-Troop."

Cinema Paradiso: Cute little Salvatore and crusty old Alfredo. The priest ringing his bell. Music right out of a Chef Boyardee commercial. The spitting moviegoer. The scene where they show the movie outside, projected against a building. That last scene, which will always make me cry.

That Thing You Do!: The Oneders. "It's very important that you don't stink today." Chris Isaak as Uncle Bob. The bass player has no name. Those wonderful RCA Victor chairs in Patterson's Appliances. The Wonders' fan. A sweet interracial crush. "If Jimmy's a genius, I'm U Thant." The scene where "That Thing You Do" is first played on the radio. Guy Patterson's dad. Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters. "IIIIIIIII- I quit, I quit, I quit." The photo shoot scene, with the boys running on the big map of the US, and running on a horse track. Wolfman - "Too scary."

Stripes: Harold Ramis' terrific face. "We're not parking it, we're abandoning it." Sean Young before she went looney. First time I saw Judge Reinhold. Judge's "Death Before Disco" sweatshirt. Bill Murray's great "We're Americans" speech. "Have that removed, soldier." Psycho, Cowboy, and The Cruiser. Sgt Hulka with his big toe. Joe Flaherty as the border guard. "How's it goin', Eisenhower?" Singing "Doo Wah Diddy." Thanks to this movie, when Tito Puente died, we all said, "I've been listening to him for years." "Never convicted."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: The killer rabbit. The holy hand grenade. "It's only a flesh wound." The fact that everyone's on horseback and there's nary a horse in the movie. "I fart in your general direction." The Knights of the Round Table dance number. The opening titles. "Come see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm bein' repressed!" Prince Herbert. "She turned me into a newt!" The Knights Who Say Ni. "I bet you're gay." "No I'm not."

A Fish Called Wanda: K-k-ken. "Asssshoooooole!" Geoffrey Palmer as the judge. "I Wanda...." The Cathcart Towers Hotel. "Don't eat the green ones, they're not ripe." Those poor terriers. Kevin Kline, Kevin Kline, Kevin Kline. "I've worn dresses with higher IQs." Archie Leach. The bit part by Stephen Fry ("Oh, look, it's the queen!"). Harvey Manfridchinsonton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home