Thursday, March 18, 2004

Vinyl Revisited

Since I wrote Tuesday's blog, I've had two interesting things happen. Well, maybe three, only one was just marginally interesting, that being I got out the singles box with all my vinyl collectibles in it and touched and rubbed and got all excited.

But the first interesting thing is, yesterday being St Patrick's Day, I felt compelled whilst driving to B'burg for Band Practice to listen to the Pogues. I love that they're a dual-holiday band. You can listen to them on St Patrick's Day, you can listen to them on Halloween. How convenient.

What's not convenient, however, is that my "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" CD (yes, CD) is wonky. And it's been wonky the whole 15 or so years that I've owned the damn thing. Playing it at home, in the car, in the computer, it just has a tendency to act, well, to act as weird as Shane McGowan after a night out on the town. Either it won't play, or it skips, or it gets "hung" between tracks. It's just a defective CD and every time I play it I wonder if it'll be the last time.

Well, guess what. As we speak, the CD is stuck in my car's CD player. I can't get it out. It's making the CD player look like there's no CD in it. The eject won't work. The "play" button won't work. I've not found an object yet I can dislodge it out of there with, and frankly, it's getting right on my wick. If I ruin the CD I don't care, I've been telling myself to buy a new one for years, but I don't want to ruin the player.

Now, do you ever get an album hopelessly stuck on the turntable? I don't think so.

Also, on a little lighter note, I did some browsing on Amazon and found one single solitary entry for "Casting My Spell" by the Talismen. It's on a collection (if I'm understanding what I'm reading correctly) of songs Jimmy Page played on in the 60s. And on it is not only "Casting My Spell," but also the Talismen's cover of Dylan's "Masters of War." Which, oddly enough, was the b-side of "Casting My Spell." It's probably the only two songs they ever recorded. Cool though, if that blazing solo on the record I've been listening to almost my whole life has been Jimmy Page and I've never known it.

Since I still have some funds left on the Amazon gift certificate Ed gave me, I said "what the hell" and scooped it up. And I'm excited, except for one small thing.

It's on CD, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home