Monday, April 26, 2004

This May Border On Weird

OK, first off, I took a tip from the very brainy Krizzer, and finally changed my imood. It's been forever since I changed, and when I say "forever," I mean three weeks. (Time means nothing to me anymore.) I was sure I couldn't change it now because I didn't have my password handy, but in a freak brainflash, I actually remembered it, and now I am a changed woman. I didn't really want to put "bored," because I was thinking, "No, dear, you're not bored so much as you're boring." Then I found "dull," and said, "That's it!"

And when I tell you this next thing, I'm sure you'll all agree with me. I have a piece a trivia that's so trivial it's miniscuvial.

Those of you who peruse the Movie List may know that I'm on a bit of a Quentin Tarantino kick lately. I went to see "Kill Bill, Vol. 2" (which Stennie says you can't describe without using the word "fuck," and I tend to agree), and it rocked so hard, or should I say so fuckin' hard, that I decided to go back and watch some more QT. I went in to rent "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" for another viewing, then thought "what the heck" and got "Reservoir Dogs" while I was at it.

Now, it's no secret that I think the Michael Madsen "Stuck in the Middle With You" ear-cutting scene is one of the greatest movie scenes in modern history. Everything about it just makes me grin. So I watched "Dogs" first of all, here on the little laptop with my headphones on, and I enjoyed it immensely. And yes, I enjoyed the ear-cutting scene as expected.

Here's a rough sketch of how the ear-cutting scene goes. Michael Madsen has a cop tied up and beat up, with his mouth taped. He walks over to a table and pulls a knife out of his boot. Then he asks the cop if he ever listens to the "Sounds of the 70s" program. He leans down, turns on a radio, and a small snippet (and when I say small snippet I mean approximately 1/2 second) of Mexican music plays, then he adjusts the station to "Sounds of the 70s" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" starts, and the fun and frivolity and dancing and ear-cutting begins.

It wasn't until last night when I was loafing back at the Poderosa that I watched "Kill Bill, Vol. 1." As we all know, this movie revolves around a wedding massacre. In a little wedding chapel in Texas. There's a scene in the movie - and I think it's where the sheriff comes to check out the murder scene (my brain is so weak I've already forgotten what happens after) - that starts out with an aerial shot of the murder scene. When that shot comes, what do we hear but the exact same 1/2 second snippet of that exact same Mexican music that was on the radio in "Reservoir Dogs." Exact same! Then it goes on to some other music, which is not, of course, "Stuck in the Middle With You."

I just found that so completely weird. So, from "Reservoir Dogs" we have that snippet of Mexican music, and from "Pulp Fiction" we have Uma Thurman drawing her little square in the air (that happens in Viveca Fox's kitchen). I don't know, just caught me as wild. Then again, I'm "dull."

One last thing tonight. It's not like I've had the greatest amount of respect for our former Poet and Prophet Mr Bob Dylan. Especially ever since his music started showing up in Victoria's Secret commercials. Now not only his music but his face are showing in Victoria's Secret commercials as well! Who the hell wants to use Bob Dylan's devilishy ugly mug to sell their panties? It's beyond me.

But anyway, what were left of the cherished days of my youthful optimism are now over. There's now a cellular phone commercial out there using "The Times, They Are A-Changin'" for their commercials. Thanks, Bob. You can't tell me you're so hard up for cash that you sold your anthem that ushered in the 60s to sell fuckin' cell phones. What's next? "Subterranean Homesick Blues" to sell Pepsi? Shame upon you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home