Sunday, April 04, 2004

Well, the results are in in the quiz. A few valiant souls took me up on my challenge, and I commend you all. So here are the answers in the My CD Player is Still Broken And I'm Still Having To Listen To Cassettes In My Car Quiz:

Part One: 80s Mix Tapes. All these come from various 80s mix tapes I've made. These are the hard ones, people. You get even half of these, you're good.

1. We will rape and pillage in the village of his choice: "Alex Chilton," the Replacements
2. Got a zebra by the tail and a pop-gun in my hand: "Watusi Rodeo," Guadalcanal Diary
3. There's matches in the bathroom just below the stairs: "Nobody Told Me," John Lennon (and yes, I'll concede it is "Nazis")
4. Oh but the prestige and the glory: "Tattooed Love Boys," the Pretenders
5. He said, "Hey, I know it's dangerous, but it sure beats Riker's: "People Who Died," Jim Carroll
6. Brother's got a date to keep he can't hang around: "Our House," Madness
7. I'm almost home, there's the 7-11: "Rattle My Bones," the Suburbs
8. If I stop I could lose my head, so I'm losing you instead: "One Step Ahead," Split Enz
9. The lights are on, but no one's there: "Hourglass," Squeeze (and you get points, but I'll not concede it is "no one's in")
10. Exactly who am I supposed to be?: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" the Clash
11. I had it made like a mountain range with a snow white pillow for my big fat head: "Big Time," Peter Gabriel
12. From high on a hill came the clarion call: "The Rose of England," Nick Lowe
13. I had my eyes shut, was dreamin' 'bout the past: "A Million Miles Away," the Plimsouls
14. The love we share seems to go nowhere: "Tainted Love," Soft Cell
15. I kissed my girl by the factory wall: "Dirty Old Town," the Pogues (though Ewan McColl got points, too)
16. Everything goes when you're dead, everything empties from what was in your head: "It's Going to Happen," the Undertones
17. I could go on for hours and probably will: "A Town Called Malice," the Jam
18. I don't know how I'm meant to act with all of you lot: "Save It for Later," the English Beat
19. I take requests on the telephone, I'm on a wavelength far from home: "Mexican Radio," Wall of Voodoo
20. I tell the others "Don't bother me," 'cause when they look at you they don't see what I see: "They Don't Know," Tracey Ullman (though Kirsty McColl got points, too)

Part Two: A Fun Cassette I Found. I must have made this right before I got a CD burner. Most songs are from the mid-late 90s. These are easier. In fact, I think this section's dead easy.

21. She said, "I'm already dead": "Barrier Reef," the Old 97s
22. Amsterdam was always good for grieving: "Fort Worth Blues," Steve Earle
23. If you still don't like my song then you can just go to hell: "Little Atoms," Elvis Costello
24. And my hair will shine like the sea: "Supermodel," Jill Sobule
25. In search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers: "Camel Walk," Southern Culture on the Skids
26. I don't know from maritime: "Red Dragon Tattoo," Fountains of Wayne
27. Lights, camel, action!: "Charlton Heston," Stump
28. I said "Pretend you've got no money," she just laughed and said, "You're so funny": "Common People," Pulp
29. Bruce and I go to the Jose Theatre, 3 flicks for 50 cents, take me to your leader: "The New John Agar," Young Fresh Fellows
30. Hit on the head with a frying pan, lives his life in a garbage can: "Particle Man," They Might Be Giants

Part Three: Grab Bag. Exactly what it says. These are songs from from everywhere, mainly tapes I pulled out and listened to that had no labels on them. They can be from any time or any genre. WooHoo!

31. I could tell you things about Peter Pan: "Smut," Tom Lehrer
32. Black skinned man give me bad deal: "Candyman," Donovan
33. The idle brain is the devil's playground: "Ya Got Trouble," from "The Music Man"
34. I didn't know much Spanish and there was no time for talk: "What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round," the Monkees
35. His tongue it could not speak but only flatter: "The Wicked Messenger," Bob Dylan (though I was listening to Tim O'Brien's version)
36. I was steamed, I was fried, but you stood by my side: "Then Came Lo Mein," Robert Earl Keen
37. What do you do between the horns of the day: "I Believe," REM
38. We're drinking, my friend, to the end of a brief episode: "One For My Baby, and One For The Road," Fred Astaire was singing mine, but anyone you named would work, probably, except Eminem
39. I have had enough, so act your age: "You Won't See Me," the Beatles
40. Put your hands up to the ceiling, bend your waist and touch your toes: "Skin and Bone," the Kinks

So there you have it! There were a couple I expected no one to get, just too obscure, #s 2, 7, 25, and 27. But the others I figured someone somewhere knew of. Anyway, because of those two flubs in lyrics, everyone got their 2 ½ points for those two.

Our winner, with 21 right for a total score of 53 (I round up) was the one and only Mike, man of mystery, movies and music. Runner up, with 14 ½ right and a score of 36 is the dishy Michelle. And Venice made me laugh my ass off with her shout from the old #trivia days of "No Cloo!"

Well, that was fun. For me, anyway. Thanks for playing, you few brave souls!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home