Sunday, May 09, 2004

A Happy Sunday

Today is Mother's Day (it's winding down now). I had a really good day, but before I wax happily about it, I just wanted to say something. On my way home from Mr M's, driving down Rt 460, I got to thinking about people who don't have their moms. You know, I write long and hopefully funny blogs about my mom and all the nutty and sometimes bothersome things she does, things I cry about at the time and laugh about later. Sometimes it's easy to forget there's not a soul out there who's lost their mom that wouldn't love to have one of those "bothersome" times to laugh about later. There are a few people in particular I was thinking of on that trip, but if you're reading this and it fits, I was thinking of you too.

After a few mandatory clarinet duets this morning (and a great one-egg omelet: I'm eating eggs!), Mr M and I had a finger-painting fest. It's something we'd been threatening to do for a long time, ever since he had to finger-paint for a class project (yes he is in grad school, I promise). We decided we'd make my mom (Granny) some Happy Mother's Day masterpieces. It was fun. His was very abstract expressionist (Granny, grapes, a salmon and Saturn - I mean, that's right out of Magritte), and I was way too studious working on mine. In fact, it made Mr M laugh.

Thanks to the miracle of Paint Shop Pro and Blogger, here's a little gallery show. First, Mr M's ode to Granny:



And now, here's mine:



Ahhh, such talent in our hands.

When I got back to B'field, I went to my sister's for dinner, which was fun, that being meant sarcastically and truthfully. It was fun, but you know, I'm also in that stage of just learning to eat. I tried a grilled burger (off bun), and ate about a third of it, but she had some spicy pickles that just drove me wild! I'm sure they weren't exactly "recommended eating," but I sucked on those spicy pickles till I was sure I'd be sick.

Taytie and I looked at his yearbook together (you know, I am a yearbook addict), and watched the video of his performances in the high school talent show. It was a hoot. He played in two bands. The first, he played guitar in a band that did "For Whom The Bell Tolls," by Metallica. I mean, I don't know from heavy metal, but they were really good - their lead guitarist was not only very very talented, but had some seriously good rock guitar god moves going as well. The second band he played in he played drums. That band did "Under the Bridge," and I liked them a lot better, simply because I knew that song and could sing along. It was really fun though; when I was in high school, nobody went all out and formed bands and that. People did "interpretive dances." And no, I was not one of them.

I love watching Tay get more into music. It's something he'll always have, and he informed me today that he's actually going to be taking guitar lessons now. I can only imagine what'll come of it, today he was already playing "Miserlou," the Dick Dale guitar shredder that's in "Pulp Fiction." That cracked me up.

And I'm glad he's letting his hair grow.

No more auntly bragging; after all, there is no Aunt's Day. And you know, why not? Aunts Unite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home