Sunday, May 23, 2004

Picture Day

Hello lads and lasses. It's Sunday night yet again - boy, don't they roll around fast. I had a busy weekend, which I suppose is a good thing for a girl like me. Mr M came down yesterday evening and I made meat loaf (which I think was pretty good, although it felt like a rock in my stomach after I ate it), we watched "Jackie Brown" (the Tarantino movie I never cared much for, so it was good to give it a second viewing for revision), and of course, did the dreaded clarinet duets (I sucked and was out of tune, but I hung in till my lip went).

Then today we went to the local band spring concert to see Taytie. It was sixth grade, then seventh and eighth, then the high school band. And the high school band - well, I hate to do a Simon Cowell and diss in public, but talk about your out of tune clarinets. It was absolutely painful at times. But I still had fun. And we came home and ended up watching "Seabiscuit," which I've also seen, but still kinda enjoyed again.

However, now to the visual portion of the evening. I worked hard yesterday. I started out with my mom at a local nursery, where I bravely picked out some flowers for my long-empty porch pots (long-empty meaning, since I moved in), and something to replace the hated daffodils that sprout every March and, well, die every March. On the advisement of my new email friend Denyse, I picked impatients for the pots and petunias for the yard.

Then it was to the Wally World (Wal-Mart) to get potting soil, trowels, flower food, and the like. Then it was to the grocery to pick up everything I needed for the meat loaf dinner. Then it was back home to actually plant the little mothers.

You know, I remembered early into things why I never really liked this sort of thing. Bugs. Dirt and bugs. Of course, some pots sit idle with nothing but dirt and moss in them for 3 years, they're gonna get some bug action I'm sure. Anyway, I persevered, and below are the fruits of my labors. First of all, my pots:



Now, the patch (my petunias look puny. pray for them.):



There. I can't let myself be proud of them. That's what started the Great Daffodil Suicide of '02.

Now, since it is indeed Sunday night and I'm going to try to make a thing of this, it's time for the Food Picture of the Week.

This week, it's simple, but oh-so elegant. It's a Burger Party!!



I just love this one. It reminds me of the mid-sixties, when neighborhood people actually gathered on someone's patio, and Japanese lanterns lit the night while everyone ate "gourmet" burgers and drank highballs in lime green plastic tumblers. And were happy.

And how gourmet can you get? The burgers have not only instant chopped onion in them, but flat beer as well! And they're served on French Rolls!

The possibilites are endless here. There's a Mexican burger (taco sauce and avacado), Italian burger (pizza sauce and olives), Russian burger (sour cream and red caviar) (now, if you could afford caviar, would you be having hamburgers?), French burger (mushrooms - how, um, French), and British burger (sour cream, mayo, and capers.)

Yum, yum. I invite you all to my house for a burger party! Tell me what kind of burger you're going to invent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home