Friday, May 14, 2004

So Long Video

After work today I did my weekly errands and then gave myself a treat by going to the video store. I rented a current DVD, then went around looking for something older and interesting.

Well, I found something interesting, all right.

There was a big sign saying "Blowout Sale." There were also massively empty shelves. One of the sales ladies explained to me that they were "condensing" their inventory, and now there'd be no sections (foreign, classic, comedy, etc), all movies would be together side by side, alphabetical order. Which I suppose is better than all movies, side by side, in totally random order. But not much.

So, I was thinking, the next time I feel, well like I do now, in the mood for an old movie, I have to start at "A" and ramble through every crap-ass movie they have hoping to find a diamond in this rough. And dwelling upon that made me depressed so I took my one movie and started back up to the front of the store.

But then again, remember, I am me. And I detoured by this "Blowout Sale."

Turns out from what I can figure, though I didn't ask about this one, good old Movie Gallery is intent on getting rid of just about every video they have in stock. At first I thought, wow, if it's out on DVD now, the video is gone. Then the more I looked I realized that wasn't right - there were movies that aren't even out on DVD they were trashing in a sale.

And so even though with the medical bills starting to fall all around me, I couldn't resist a look through what they had. They had basically their entire "classic" section for sale. Ahhh, so that's why they're condensing things into one category. Because there'll only be one category!

I continued to look down each neverending aisle, until finally I came upon a certain movie. I stopped, and looked, thinking surely I was insane, picked it up, and realized this was actually happening to me.

The movie was "Run, Lola, Run."

"Run, Lola, Run" is a film I've wanted to see for years. I'd looked for it in my video store week after week till I finally just asked about it, and the girl behind the counter (the one who's apparently had a complete personalityectomy), punched a few buttons into her machine and said, "We don't have that, next."

Somehow suddenly they got it just in time to sell the mother for $5.99? So I bought it. Dammit, it's not been there for that long, I'm not going to let it sit on their shelves now, I don't care if I like the thing or not! It's mine!

But it brings up a point. First of all, with all this stuff they're getting rid of, Movie Gallery's going to be even crappier than it was before!

Second of all, as much as I then wanted to scour through all those movies to see what was in there, after "Lola" I high-tailed it out of there. What an absolutely fucking rotten time to be broke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home