Sunday, May 30, 2004

Sunday Pictures

It's Sunday night, and I'm happy. Happy because it's a holiday weekend and I don't have to work tomorrow. Woo Hoo.

Had a pretty good weekend, went to our band concert, which was a Memorial Day service at a B'burg retirement village where they were dedicating a little park-ette to World War II vets. And it was a nice ceremony, it's nice to see WW II vets get some recognition, a nice ceremony save the speaker who couldn't say shit if he had a mouthfull. Amongst his golden moments were, upon introducing the mayor, saying he was in his sixth of four terms, and that he also played the sacrophone. I guess that's an instrument you really have to give up a lot to play, huh.

Anyway, the two drawbacks of the whole thing: this park-ette is in the middle of the damn woods, and so of course, so were we. I sat with my chair legs sinking in mud and tried playing and brushing bugs off me at the same time, and it didn't help that it was freezing cold Saturday morning. The second drawback was that we sucked. Folks, the B'burg Community Band is sinking. It's a distressing thing.

Then I got pissed off because the only two things Mr M had on his mind didn't involve me (sleeping and mowing grass, he chose sleeping), and so I went to Target and shopped for about 3 hours. I bought a new comforter set and a croquet set (CONTEST: come up with suggestions as how to make croquet more exciting), and some other odds and ends. Then the rest of the weekend was filled with the obligatory movies and clarinets and merriment of many kinds.

I got back home this afternoon and went to see "Shrek 2" with my sister and bro-in-law. No Taytie; he's 15. He'd rather boil in oil than go to a movie with his parents. It's a cute movie, I gotta admire anybody who'll make a movie and throw that many pop culture references and scenes of movie parodying in it.

But you're here for the pictures, aren't you?

First of all, a follow-up to last week. I now have what every girl dreams of: the white picket fence. I changed the border around my petunia patch (which I'm thinking of expanding to more flowers). Take a look:



Next, two more photos, both from Saturday. The first is my view from my seat playing in the concert:



See, told you it was in the woods. Next is a pic of me, Ed, and Sherman after the ceremony. Sherman's in his Memorial Day finery, standing beside the certificate the band got for playing that day. You know, I think this is the first pic of me I've ever posted anywhere on my website. And may it be the last:



Mmmmm. Sorry about that. Really.

Okay, and now the Sunday piece de resistance. The recipe of the week. This week, in keeping with a summer holiday, how about a trifle?



Damn. I always thought by its very nature a trifle was light. This has heavy cream, a whole poundcake, a pack of macaroons, wine, all the makings of pudding, and I don't know if you can see the green at the top (I thought it was limes), but it also has candy on top. Doesn't matter what's in it, though. I think it looks someone's been hit by a car and then put into a bowl.

Bon appetit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home