Monday, July 05, 2004

Acrochallenge Is Vacationing, But Here Are Some Pictures

Hello, hello. Monday holiday here, and Mr Acrochallenge seems to be taking a day of fishing at the lake. He'll return next week, though, with a guest judge and lots of fun and frivolity.

Picture Sunday also took a little trip this weekend, back to her old hometown, where she's very popular I hear.

I personally didn't get home till this afternoon, having been hanging at Mr M's and doing my patriotic duty by playing band music for the masses.

My dream came true on Saturday night when rain canceled our first gig, and we were free to do as we pleased. Mr M suggested Mexican, and so we headed out for enchiladas (my first post-surgery Mexican, and it went down great). On our way into town we passed by the local mall, where I saw that finally "Farenheit 9/11" was playing somewhere accessible, and so I begged to go see it. We hit the 10:30pm showing that same night. That movie absolutely rocked; everyone should see it. So go. Now. It's OK, I'll wait....

On Sunday, I dropped Mr M off at Parade Headquarters (I've never participated in the parade), then headed off into town to find a spot to watch. It was 94 degrees. Within minutes, the wind blew, the skies grew dark and it was 87 degrees. And then the rains came. And the thunder, and lightning, and more wind, and rain so hard I thought it was going to turn to hail. And it became 73 degrees! I was sure it was "so much for the parade."

But things blew over, and after about a forty minute wait, the sirens wailed and the parade began. And I must say I enjoyed this year's parade probably more than any other I've seen there. I took some pictures, so I thought that would be my blog for the day.

First of all, I can tell you nothing about this picture except, here is Man Ostrich. He was walking around shaking hands.



Next of all, a familiar face we all know. Everyone repeat after me: I love Smokey Bear mmmwah.



Now, these people, I loved. They were some group of people marching in the parade for a higher minimum wage. They were chanting, "Hey hey, ho ho, minimum wage is way too low." Some kid had on a papier mache cow's head, and one guy was carrying a cardboard caricature of W. with a sliding "growing lying" nose, a la Pinocchio. It was hilarious, I can't believe they got away with it, and here's a picture.



I'm not sure who the people were who created this, but it was spectacular. In fact, so spectacular that my band friend Terri said she was sure it frightened all of the town children. And that makes it a success for me. May I introduce, Uncle Sam!



And finally, what July 4th parade would be complete without a visit from the ol' Community Band, riding along in style playing "Stars and Stripes Forever." As you'll see, there's Mr M on the outside, honking on a saxophone, for some God-knows-what reason.



We skipped out on the Coasters, who were supposed to be performing after us (though I have my doubts; I don't believe the Coasters exist anymore), and went home for burgers on the grill and fireworks-watching on Mr M's back deck. He has a great view of them.

And then home today. I know they're called "long weekends," but why are they always so short?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home