Saturday, July 03, 2004

Here's To Ya, Uncle Sam

Back in 1988 my friend Tina, who was visiting from England (though she now lives in Ireland), said something to me that, while not bold or shocking, still sticks with me. I was telling her that I used her visit as an excuse to worm my out of going to my dreaded 10-year high school reunion. She laughed. Not at the thought of being my alibi, but at "you Americans." "You Americans are so funny about things. Like school, with your yearbooks and your school rings [she was fascinated by my class ring, btw] and your reunions. In England you do your time and they kick you out the door, saying 'don't come back.' And you don't want to."

And I think that's such an apt summary of Our Great Land.

We like to go overboard about things, including our patriotism. I don't know of any other country, save for the Old Russia, the good ol' CCCP, where people were so fervent about their love of country. And now, as we reach our 220-somethingth birthday (228? I've lost count), the fireworks, flag-waving, song-singing, beer-drinking, and meat-grilling will begin.

And that's fine with me. I'm not going to sit here and say I want no part of that. But if I sit and think about the holiday before us, I'm torn.

I have what I guess would be diagnosed as a love/hate relationship with my country. I hate a lot of what it's become. I hate the greed, the selfishness, the blame-placing, the lawsuit-filing, the laziness, the "what's-in-it-for-me" attitude that seems to have taken us over. I hate the way "freedom of speech" seems to have become "you're free to say anything you want, as long as I agree with it." I hate the pushiness, the bullying.

On the other hand, I love the actual country. I love the purple mountains' majesty and the amber waves of grain. I love that the people are, in general, open, and warm, and yeah, a little crazy, not afraid to go out on a limb. I love that in a time of crisis, people will pull together, people who don't even know each other will work side by side, or dig into their pockets to give. And yeah, in a way, I love that people aren't afraid to wave a flag and yell, "Woooo! I love this country!"

As a rule, I hate patriotic music. That's why playing the Big-Ass Independence Day Extravaganza (which has now turned into two Big-Ass Independence Day Extravaganzas) every year with Community Band is one of my very least favorite concerts of the year. I hate "God Bless America" and I detest "Battle Hymn of the Republic." "You're a Grand Old Flag" isn't bad, and "This Land is Your Land" is better, though we don't play that one.

I also, as a rule, have very little love for the military. And to be fair, I'm sure this is because of 1) the military's mentality of "yes sir, no sir, anything you say sir," and 2) what the military has become in the last 30 years - the long arm of the law for a country that wants to start a war with little or no cause.

However, our band plays a song at the B-A.I.D.E. every year called "Armed Forces Salute." It's just a medley of all of the anthems of the branches of the military. Ed asks that if you're a veteran, you stand when your anthem is played, and people applaud. And I generally make mistakes playing this song, because instead of reading the music I'm busy looking out into the audience to see the men and women stand up and be recognized. And to see if anyone ever stands up during the Coast Guard anthem.

And during that song, watching people stand up and be recognized, yes, I've been known to get a little teary.

I guess my relationship with America is the same as one's relationship with her spouse of 50 years. I love it for what I know it as, not necessarily what it is now. I love it because no matter what problems it has - and believe me, it has a lot of problems - I still think it's the best thing going.

Like if I said, if I think too hard about the holiday before us, I'm torn. Therefore, I generally choose not to think about it too hard. So, hell, pass me a beer, and a burger. And a flag. And let's sing a song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home