Sunday, August 01, 2004

(Caption the) Picture Sunday

Hello, my friends.

I'm back from a whole weekend in B'burg. It was fun. Almost no clarinetting on my part - of course, when I picked up Mr M's horn to do a few of my tonguing exercises, a fight broke out. I sometimes think dumping the instrument for good might be in everyone's best interest. But other than that, dinner with Mr M's friend Mr F on Friday, schlepping around R-town looking in music stores Saturday, movies, and a game of Scrabble that I could have won, except I drew the friggin' Z in my last draw and couldn't find a place to use it. Oh well. Every time I drew from the bag, I was overcome with the need to make an acro out of the letters, anyway.

I came up with a brilliant idea on Saturday afternoon. It may be my key to fame and fortune.

On Friday night, I caught the last half or so of a "48 Hours" program about a woman who was making a film called "Searching for Angela Shelton." See, Angela Shelton was her name, and she was going all over the country finding other women with the same name. In doing so, she found out all kinds of similarities she had to the other Angelas. Then the first Angela goes into a grand mal meltdown as she confronts the fact that she was abused (the dirty kind) by her father. Which was a shame indeed, but she needed to be having a grand mal meltdown over the fact that she stole her whole fucking idea for a film project from British comedian Dave Gorman!

But that's neither here nor there, I guess.

Anyway, as Mr M and I were speeding down the road to R-Town yesterday, I came up with a brilliant idea. I'm going to make my own documentary film project. Called "Searching for Percy Brown." It shall be me trying my best to find the man who dropped his nametag at Clarinetfest 2004. Then, after I think I've found The Man, it will be Mr M and me, in the podmobile, with a camera mounted on the dashboard. Then we'll get a good hour and a half or so of footage of the two of us, winding our way around the nation's highways and bi-ways, fighting, laughing, philosophising, and possibly me playing the kazoo (it's a long story).

Then, we'll finally make it to Percy Brown's house, boldly knock upon his door, and watch him accept his nametag with a look of utter surprise and confusion. "But I didn't really need it back - it was the last day, I didn't even think I needed to pick it up when I dropped it," he'll politely say, and then, after not being invited in for a cup of coffee and Percy's undying gratitude, we'll drive back home in the podmobile, me all dejected, and Mr M giving me a lecture as to why I never should have done this in the first place.

And......cut.

This weekend one thing I did not do was bring my camera along with me. Therefore, I have no pictures to show you for Picture Sunday. However, I've had a picture I've been wanting to show you for some time, so let's use it and play one more round of "Caption the Picture." It was so fun reading your entries last week, we'll try it one more time. I call this picture "The Boys," but I need your captions:




There you go; now I know yall can come with something good for this.

Now for the recipe du jour. And let me tell you something, folks. Tonight's picture is the last picture I have from my wonderful little set of Archie McPhee freebie cards. I was crushed; we were never to see heady days the like of these again. Until I went searching on e-Bay for some more. I've found another little set of them! They're made the same way, and are even published by the same company. So hopefully we'll get an extension on the recipe du jour.

But tonight, we shall end this set of cards not with a bang, but with a whimper. This is what is known in the food biz, circa 1973, anyway, as a "tossed salad." Although I have to tell you, if they tossed this salad, I'll eat the red and white checked tablecloth, because all this is is lettuce and croutons. And these croutons have been laid upon the lettuce.

No serving suggestion on the back, just a seriously bland salad that I suppose we're going to have to eat mayonnaise on, with a boiled egg and some go-to-hell salt and pepper shakers. What a way to end it all for my little recipe cards. Bon apetit!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home