Sunday, August 29, 2004

Picture Sunday

Hello, all who mourn the ending of the weekend. I'm there with you, buddies.

It's been a fun and a not-so-fun weekend. It started (see below blog) with some hellacious sickness. Then the old high school football team lost (big) Friday night, and the Hokies lost (no surprise) Saturday. I went doggie looking again, but the doggie I wanted to see apparently isn't ready for the viewing public yet, and was off behind a wooden fence where I couldn't gain access to him.

But I hung at Mr M's, watched three four-star movies, none of which I'd seen and all of which Mr M was pleased to introduce me to. I caught some Olympics, played some clarinet (without tears, arguments, or violence - well, except that time I hit myself in the head with my horn after missing a note), and got nauseous but not actually sick on Mexican food.

Which brings me to my first picture of the evening, but that's not really a segue, because the picture has absolutely nothing to do with anything I've mentioned above.

This is something ongoing in my little office at TheCompanyIWorkFor. As you know, because I've told you, I have little toys all over my office. The bulk of them stand upon my filing cabinet. That's a good display area, but sometimes a little dicey for the toys. Everytime someone closes a drawer in the cabinet George Jetson falls over, and occasionally one of the toys will take that horrible dive to the floor for some reason or other. But then, there's the sad story of Wakko.

Wakko, is of course, one of the Animaniacs, Wakko, Yakko, and Dot. I never really missed Wakko, because I don't keep much of a tab on the toys who hang around on my filing cabinet. So imagine my horror to notice one day whilst opening the bottom drawer of my cabinet - Wakko. In the below position. I swear to you folks, he just ended up this way, no one posed him for this picture. It's been about six weeks now since I've noticed him, and I just can't bear to move him because it's just so...so...so perfect.



Now, the next picture. Well, for the next picture I was going to show you my really cool Sherman button Mr M got me on Ebay. But since it's very small, and shiny, I can't get a good picture of it. So instead I'll print another picture, in which buttons figure prominently. It's called "S and P show their patriotic spirit."



Rumor has it someone is working for the Kerry campaign, but mum's the word on that.

And now, for your eating pleasure - maybe - may I introduce the recipe du jour. It's the "Mom, please, are we having that again?" dish of pleasure, Fish & Vegetable Casserole.



OK, now, I must admit this isn't the worst thing I've ever seen, and certainly not as bad as some things I have coming up for you ("coming up" being the operative phrasing there), but the idea of fish in a casserole doesn't much twang my buds. Besides which, this doesn't really look cooked. That celery, and the mound of parsley in the middle, and those carrots on top (which I first thought must be fat-free cheese - you know, the kind that doesn't melt). Now, the fish underneath, which is halibut, so the card tells us, looks nice and cooked and white, once you realize it's the fish and not a layer of sour cream, which is what I thought upon first seeing it.

Anyway, if you choose to have this lovely casserole, it is suggested by The Card that you serve it with parmesan noodles and ice cream and cornflake cookies. A meal any mom would be thrilled to bits to serve, I'm sure.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Yesterday I got to see me some rhythmic gymnastics. There was some event going on where there were five girls out there on the floor, and three had a hoop and two had a ball. And they were jumping and twirling and throwing and gyrating and, well, it was generally mass chaos. It was basically the decline of civilization as we know it. One thing you never see in rhythmic gymnastics is those girls using that hoop - which is basically just a hula hoop - as a hula hoop! Why don't they just step inside it and whoosh to the music and let that baby go!
* Today I saw a heartbreaking moment in rhythmic gymnastics. A girl got her ribbon all tangled up on her stick and encountered a "major deduction." Later, all we heard was the sound of a gunshot behind a locked door, then the competition continued.
* Mr M came up with a brilliant idea during our discovery of the mind-numbing hell that is water polo. "This might be better if they had to play it in pudding," he suggested. Perfect! Pudding Polo!
* And now the closing ceremonies are going on right beside me on the TV. Everyone is happy and dancing. And I'm happy and dancing. Over the fact that I get to be released from the addiction the Athens Olympics became.

Happy week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home