Sunday, August 22, 2004

Picture Sunday

Hello, one and all. It's been a busy and fun-filled weekend.

One of the highlights of which was a Saturday afternoon trip to the Humane Society to look at doggies. Now, before you even think it, no, I did not come home with anything. It was just a little window-shopping, maybe to get myself in the thinking stages of doggie ownership. They had very few dogs (which is a good thing, if you think about it), a couple of really cute puppies which looked to be of some sort of hound variety, and then all the adult dogs were big dogs. I just can't have a big dog here at the Poderosa, I fear. Which was a total shame, because I all but fell in love with one doggie.

He was a blonde lab mix, about a year old (so his description said), named "Doc." And he was a total baby. He liked me! And he had those "take me home" eyes. I just wanted to die. I still do. But there's just no room. But if anybody out there wants an absolute sweetie of a dog, I'll get Doc for you.

Of course, I had no camera with me at the shelter. I had no camera with me basically at all this weekend. So Picture Sunday's going to be "in-house," as we say.

The first is a little something Mr M "took" for us last week.

I'm sure you all know that my little Sherman is just a boy of neverending talents. I mean, he travels, he plays the clarinet, he spreads sunshine wherever he goes.... Well, he does something else, too. He gardens.

He's becoming known far and wide for his specialty, the Shermanhead Melon. He grows them in B'burg, and when the harvest comes in, sells them at his own little roadside stand. He makes ice cream and smoothies with them, too! And here is the world's first documented proof of the existence of the Shermanhead Melon:



Hmmm. Bears a little resemblance to something, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

And let's not leave Peabody out of the loop here. I thought I'd give you a glimpse of my hat. I'm not normally a hat wearer at all, but since I've been doing some exercising away from swimming, and currently hating my hair and everything, sometimes I've been donning a cap. I made this one, from a plain red hat and an applique I got off eBay. So may I now introduce, my head!




OK. Now to the moment I know you've not really been waiting for, but you've made it this far, so why not. The recipe du jour.

This week's recipe is so savvily named "Sukiyaki," but I call it "some raw stuff in a pot that should be on the stove but instead is on someone's formica'ed table."




I mean, what is there to say? Some meat and some vegetables on a bare table with some tea. The serving suggestion says we also need steamed rice and canteloupe slices. Hell, they could have just put the canteloupe in the pot. And notice it's under "weight control." That's because you have to eat it with chopsticks, thus severely limiting your intake.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I watched the Women's Marathon today, all 2½ hours of it. And it was exciting, man! And I don't even like running! You go, girls!
* A new good name: Australian diver Loudy Tourky. (pronounced "Loody")
* A Swede who's a dead ringer for Charles Manson won the high jump.
* Forget what I ever said about those bad Nike commercials. If I have to see many more "stay away from my Chicken Select" commercials from McDonald's, I'm going up on the roof with a shotgun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home