Thursday, September 02, 2004

Warning Label

I try my best to get in as much protein as I can. They say it's supposed to keep your hair from falling out, amongst other things. As you can guess, either I'm still not getting enough or "they" lie like rugs.

But anyway, because I don't eat as much, I have to use protein supplements here and there. I drink protein drinks that become much less nasty when mixed with Crystal Light instead of water (I don't know why it took me so long to figure that out), and then I sometimes eat protein bars that taste relatively like bricks with a faux-choclate covering. (Well, to be honest, there are a couple of good ones out there, one called Strive that I've only ever found online and therefore has to be mail ordered [$$], and the new Post Carbwells peanut butter are excellent, but only offer 10 grams of protein, whereas others offer as many as 23.)

I had the afternoon off today, but it was basically useless because I had so many places to go and things to do. So many, in fact, that I didn't get time to eat a proper lunch. So on my way to get the podmobile serviced, I zipped by the Poderosa and got a "regular" protein bar (high grams, but little taste) to take with me on the trip.

So there I was, driving along and munching, when I happened to see something on the package of this bar. It said, and I quote: TAMPER RESISTANT. DO NOT USE IF FOIL WRAPPER IS TORN OR MISSING.

Now, if the wrapper of this is missing, how would you know not to eat it? You don't have the warning telling you not to! It's a shame, too, because I'd say there are a lot of these bars floating around without the wrapping. Where people have opened them, taken one bite, and flung them out their car windows like so many cigarette butts (or cassette tapes, Stennie).

Plus, "do not use?" Use this product. It's kind of big for insertion, and tremendously big for injection, so I guess by "use" they mean "eat" this product.

Then again, you could "use" it - as a paperweight, weapon, to build a house with. The list is endless, really.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* My wonderfully cool nephew was not in the Olympics, mainly because he's 15 and lives in B'field and has only been running about a year. Yesterday he was in a cross-country meet, though, and to hear him tell it, these people really took the term "cross-country" to heart. There was a part of the course where, instead of hearing footsteps and exhausted breathing behind him, he heard thundering, quick footsteps - and whinneying. There were about 8 wild horses chasing him. Yep, there was a part of the course where these horses were just running wild, chasing the runners, and having the time of their lives. However, later on the course, my wonderfully cool nephew also ran right through a pile of wild horse excrement. He and a buddy were running side by side, and the buddy just lost it when T ran through the shit, and lost it even more when he spent about 100 yards running with one foot and dragging the other through the grass trying to clean it. He finished sixth overall, a pretty good result considering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home