Monday, October 18, 2004

Acrochallenge!

Hey dudes. And dudettes. There wasn't going to be an acro tonight because your Humble Moderator is not feeling well. I think the traveling and the weather is getting the better of me and I'm achy and have a cold, sore throat, and slight fever. And pneumonia. And appendicitis and the plague. But for you, I'll soldier on.

The life-changing event that caused me to go on with acro was a tremendous happening at my house last night. Last night, for the last time ever, the Poderosa was graced by - yes, Mowing Boy. Brave, valiant, stalwart Mowing Boy, my rock for the past three years, has mowed his last mow.

When I pulled into the driveway last night I knew he'd been there; my leaf-covered yard was closely and neatly clipped. Later in the evening he came by to collect and say goodbye. Well, probably to collect, but he said goodbye in the process. I guess you all knew that Mowing Boy is getting ready to go off and join the Navy, where he can sail the seven seas. Yes, the Navy, where he can put his mind at ease.

I grew all misty standing there saying goodbye. I could suddenly hear Andy Williams singing "The Shadow of Your Smile," and things blurred. I saw my first lunging towards a then-tiny Mowing Boy when he came to my house to ask if he could mow for me. I saw him then learn to bring his dad along on occasion. I saw him finding Mr Snake, and enduring my coming to the door to pay him wrapped in a towel. I saw him killing nasty hornets' nests for me. I saw the many times he mistakenly forgot to ring my doorbell when the door was already open, opening the screen instead and heading right in, only to be frought with embarrassment when he'd realized what he did.

Goodbye, Mowing Boy. I'll miss you terribly.

This week's acro will be "Ode To Mowing Boy."

Everyone gets three entries to come up with the best Mowing Boy ode they can. I'll be judging around 9pm est tomorrow night.

And now, "Ode to Mowing Boy," starring the following letters:

N I E T A Q F

Let the oding begin.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I now have a new door hanging. Not the one I bought in B'burg last week, it didn't look good on the door. I might put it on the inside of the door though, because I think it's much better suited for the inside. The new outside one is something I ordered a while back and didn't like. I still don't know if I like it, but I'm officially giving up. So there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home