Monday, October 25, 2004

(A Tardy) Picture Sunday

Well! Ahoy there, mateys, I'm a little late. Sunday night Sauerkraut Band gig. It was an interesting one, to say the least. A little Oktoberfest celebration at a hotel in the town of B'burg. A very small (but appreciative) crowd, a rather sedate band, and possibly the worst conglomeration of "German" (more like Germanoid) food I've ever put onto a plate at one time.

And, might I add, a Sauerkraut Band moment so wonderful and rare it will surely go down in the annals of band history. During Seth's euphonium solo piece he hit a note that - get ready for it - broke a glass candleholder at the table in front of him. It was an honest to God Memorex play! I've never seen it before, and may never again.

Had a great day yesterday - spent it at the Virginia State Band Competition watching Taytie and his bandmates march. About six hours there on the concrete bleachers, the damp concrete bleachers, but I loved every minute of it, terminal band geek that I am. And I'm proud to say that the band earned a Superior rating (which is the highest they give). They were only one of five bands on the day to do so. So go, Taytie and friends.

So of course, let's begin Picture Sunday with a picture of them in action:



Their show was music from the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean." And if you'll look up there on the bleachers you'll see sitting their rival band. They're sitting there trying to stare our guys down, but the joke was on them because they only got an Excellent rating. (Yes, I know that last remark was childish, but this is the band whose drummers told my very own nephew that his drumline "sucked" when he went over to say hello to them in a gesture of goodwill a few weeks back. So there.)

So, anyway, you know, a couple of weeks ago I got my wall hanging I was telling you about. Well, it didn't work and I replaced it (I think I told you that, if you were paying attention). I replaced it with a wreath I'd bought some weeks ago but didn't really want to use. But use it I did, and here it is:



Now, see the sad thing about this is that I took this picture with a flash. However, in real life my door doesn't have a flash, so from the road you can't even see the damn wreath because my door's too dark. Looks kinda nice in the picture though. Maybe I should have the picture blown up and stick that on my door.

Also from the "things you should have learned from me had you been paying attention." Boots! Boots! Ah, yes, the boots I bought at the QVC Bigass Shoe Sale For Charity several years ago (probably about five), and wouldn't wear because for some reason I thought they were too green, too loud, and not me. See these boots? These are nice boots! These are a mother's angel! What could I possibly have had against these boots?



I like my old new boots.

And now, for this week's installment of the recipe du jour. I'm not quite sure what to say about it except, "Here it is, hope you have Maalox," the ever-popular Curried Shrimp:



Wow, just take a look at that. If you dare. We have us some shrimp, and rice, just covered to the nth degree with some Godawful yellow stuff. Now, I kept looking on the back of the card for cauliflower as an ingredient, because I was sure that was a head of cauliflower in the middle of all that. But since it's not listed, I guess maybe that's just a really big pile of shrimp screaming for its life underneath all that sauce. Then for good measure sitting around us are some nuts, limes, brown junk, bananas (because nothing makes me think of Indian food like bananas), and a bowl of meal worms. Oh, sorry. This says it's toasted coconut. According to the Recipe People, we're supposed to have this culinary delight along with some tomato and onion salad, and topped off with some Chocolate Chiffon cake for dessert, if we dare. Go on - dare!

Mmmm-mmmm.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* There's something very disconcerting to me about driving in the fog, especially at night. It's the not being able to see what's coming up next. Even when I drive a road I know by heart, like the road to B'burg and back, it's like I'm driving it for the first time.
* Note to self: two jumbo cups of coffee at 10pm on an empty stomach isn't necessarily a good idea. I feel like I'm going to be up till next Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home