Friday, December 31, 2004

One Gone Too Fast

And here we are, a mere few hours left of this year.

For some strange reason I've been thinking of the last days of last year. Here's what I wrote at the time:

And I'll be celebrating. I'll be saying a few words to 2003. And to 2003 I'll be saying, "Fuck off! Go to hell and die, and carry thee from my life! I hope I never see your like again, and if I do, I hope I see you coming so I can smite your ass and get on with life. So go. Go fuck off. Now."

And to 2004 I shall be saying, "Hello, there! Hi, my new friend. Come in. Have a cookie. A drink. Let's get acquainted. Do you like TV? I have three - you can watch anytime you like! You need a loan? I'll spot you a few bucks anytime you're short."

I don't know if it was the cookie, or the karma, or divine intervention, or that things just work out this way. But 2004 was a good year. It was a very good year, I was happy, and it's all gone by too fast.

This was the year I faced my fears, let someone open me up and tinker around in my body, and got my life back as a result. As of today 102 pounds lost and counting, not afraid to go outside, to walk, to shop, to wear jewelry, to be silly, to look people in the eye, to stand up for myself, to have fun, to live life.

When one has an event that monumental, it seems trivial to mention the other things. But we'll give it a go and see what happens.

I met my goal on the Movie List. Sure, my goal was 50 less than last year, but it was realistic and I made it with 2 movies to spare. And as a result, I ended up watching movies because I wanted to see them, not because I was trying to build up numbers, and had less 1- and 2-star movies and more movies I'd not seen before.

The big trend for me this year was The Documentary. Some of my favorite movies this year have been documentaries, from the popular ("Farenheit 9/11," "The Fog of War") to the more obscure ("How To Draw A Bunny"), to the ones that inspired reams of discussion ("Capturing the Friedmans"), to the two wildest, loopiest, and flat-ass fun movies I've seen this year ("Tribute: A Rockumentary," "Dig!"). Documentaries were a great source of movie watching.

I finally got to see "Run Lola Run," which I'd been seeking out and was worth the wait. And after what, four tries? finished "Andrei Rublev," the movie whose cast I listed as "A lot of dirty Russians." I meant that literally, by the way. They were mostly covered in dirt.

This was the year I received my Doctorate in Sauerkraut Band. I'll never forget that concert - 3 or 4 weeks out of surgery, dizzy, barely able to eat a piece of cheese, not able to stand up and play, being introduced as "Doctor" Bet and having everyone in the band cheering and patting me on the back. And then having to duck out of the concert 20 minutes early because I was just too pooped to play anymore.

Oktoberfest was again a blast, went way too fast, and usually I was gassed. Actually, I wasn't, but I needed another rhyming word. I took loads of pictures for a scrapbook I was making. Am making. Will maybe someday make.

2004 was the year that saw Picture Sunday and the Recipe du Jour, with the cards that sadly will not last through 2005. Still working on that one, I am.

And even though I kept schlepping along this year in Community Band, I got a respite and breath of fresh air with the As Still Unnamed Clarinet Quartet.

I found out during my surgery what great buds I have, with get-well wishes and even gifts coming in from you. That meant everything.

This was the year that my dear Taytie entered the world of dating. He traded in his first girlfriend, a senior with a car, for his second girlfriend, a, well, a senior with a car. So if you're interested in dating my nephew, you now know what the requirements are.

The past two years I've done Bet's Wags and Gags. I decided to ditch it this year. I don't know if it's from lack of creativity, lack of goods and bads, or just lack of initiative. But let's put a gag on it nonetheless.

Anyway, it's been a great year, here in Betland, anyway, George Bush notwithstanding, but now it's time to say goodbye to 2004. And to 2004 I'll be saying, "Goodbye, my friend. Here, have another cookie, and a drink. Thanks for being so good to me."

And to 2005 I'll be saying, "Hello, my new friend. I gave my cookie away, but come on, let's go away together and see what happens."

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Another death. Artie Shaw died, at 94. That's a lot of good, musical years. Let's all dance to a chorus of "Frenesi." They normally come in threes, you know. Jerry, and Artie....
* My New Year's party isn't till tomorrow night. But everyone have a good one. Be safe, be careful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

related you're sure to find unuiqe and useful. The **Christmas** site

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a bundy bass clarinet
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is bundy bass clarinet

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home