Thursday, February 10, 2005

It's (*yawn*) Thursday

And a snowy Thursday as well. Just kind of snowing sideways though - no accumulation to get excited about.

Well, as I'm sure you're all peeing your pants with excitement and anticipation, the Coronation came off without a hitch yesterday. I was only slightly disappointed to see approximately none of you there cheering me on, but I hope you at least caught the live coverage on CNN.

There was a bit of a worrying time when the new crown was still a little big and Dr Guts again got out his honing instruments. But a magnificent job this time, and all is well. I now have a mouthful of bling, as the kids say.

One interesting moment, though. I opened the door to the building, and as I started over to the reception area something caught my eye. I had to look over, and when I did what should I see but a county sheriff accompanying a prisoner. A real live prisoner in the dentist's office. How did I know he was a prisoner? Well, mainly because he was wearing one of those honest-to-God prison outfits. The big baggy black and white striped suit, just like in "O Brother," and "Cry-Baby." He didn't have the hat, though.

I, as I would, took the seat farthest away from them and tried not to look. But I could hear them, the sheriff and his ward, having a nice old conversation like they were lifelong friends. Then Mr 108297 got called inside, and when he got up, there he went, sheriff beside him. He was in handcuffs! He had to go to the dentist in handcuffs!

I'd been in the chair for an extremely short time when I saw out the window, yep, the sheriff and Mr 108297 walking out to the car already. Seems, and get this: the prisoner got all uppity at the dentist's office! Apparently the county will only pay for certain treatments (like an extraction) and he didn't want that, he wanted something else. So when it was explained to him if he wanted something else it wouldn't be paid for, he stuck his incarcerated nose in the air and stormed out.

Prisoners.

Anyway, band practice last night where I worked very hard. It's made me think about my addictive personality, that. I pick something and work on it till I get sick of it, then *pffft.* Would that be "addictive personality disorder" or "can't finish anything you start disorder?" Anyway, I'm working at it.

Had the afternoon off and spent it doing absolutely nothing. Sat in the Comfy Chair and watched TV, drank Crystal Light, and napped.

Had a rather interesting and embarrassing moment, though, when the phone rang. I almost let the machine pick it up, but I thought I'd be brave and answer, still half loopy from the nap. The voice at the other end said, "May I speak to the lady of the house please?" And I just couldn't think of a good answer at that point. So I replied, "I'm sorry, there's nobody home" and hung up. I Panicked.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Thursday night - Monty Python night on BBCAmerica. Poor Graham. I underestimated him so much when he was alive. It's only in my adulthood that I see what a comedic genius he was.
* Oddly enough, one of the songs we played at band last night was "Crown Imperial: A Cornonation March."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home