Sunday, June 26, 2005

Picture Sunday

Well, here we go, first Picture Sunday in the newly refurbished Betland. You know, the more I'm looking at this the less odious I'm finding the whole thing. Yall seem to like polka dots, and I must admit that I'm finding them fairly pleasing as well. So maybe I'm more at home than I was predicting Friday I would be.

This weekend was pretty much "more of the same" in the World of Me. Friday night movie watching and coffee drinking, and jammie wearing, and blog retooling, then, after not nearly enough of a lie-in, Saturday, traveling to Mr M's.

I had to be there earlier than usual, because in his second attempt at spreading the clarinet love, he got another Bigass Clarinet Open House going for Saturday afternoon.

And I'll be damned if this one didn't work.

We had no fewer than six people in one room who all played the clarinet. Yes, I know, you're thinking, "Were there authorities present to make sure no one got hurt?" And the answer to that is "no." Because we live on the edge, man.

It was great fun, though, even though I felt really old because other than Mr M and myself, the other players were all students. But they were good, and nice, and no one said anything mean to me, to my face anyway, though I cannot vouch for what may have been said when they all headed out to their cars afterwards.

Mr M took several pictures of the festivities, but I'm not printing any of them, for a couple of reasons. One is that I don't have permission from any of the other guys, and I don't like to print other peoples' faces without asking, and more importantly, I look absolutely hideous in all of them.

Saturday night it was movie watching, and then I realized I wasn't feeling so well. I was attributing it to the fact that I must have slept like a pretzel the night before and was all sore, plus the fact that it was hovering somewhere around 135 degrees in Mr M's house, but as I started feeling worse and worse, we realized that maybe I was unwell. Mr M said I felt like I had a fever.

Anyway, I went to bed, feeling like I'd been dipped in boiling oil (a phrase some people just love to hear me say), and I suddenly I remembered - Mr M's huge fan!

He has this fan that's, well, I'm convinced it's the same fan Michael Jackson uses onstage to make his hair and clothes look like they're being blown off him. It's that big. So I drug it into the room, cranked it up to its lowest setting...and it almost blew me over into the floor. But I kept it on and that's about the only thing that got me through the night. Woke up feeling fine and my old self, though, and even energetic enough to play the clarinet without being handcuffed to the chair by you-know-who.

And it's at this point I'm sure you're thinking, "Fuck all that, where's our pictures?" and so a picture you shall have.

Mr M and I, who you all know have way too much time on our hands, indulged in a little "serious photography" today. Seeing as how we had the fan and all. I came up with the idea, and the apparatus to make it work, he took the photograph, and added the background. And so may we now present Captain Asshole's new helper, SuperSherman!



Whoooooooosh! Look at him go!

And that brings us to a the end of a very puny Picture Sunday with the recipe du jour. Get ready for it folks, start therapy now before you even look - it's the dreaded Broccoli and Deviled Eggs!


Now, when seeing this, I only have one question, and I'm sure it's the exact same question you have - "Why?" Why broccoli and deviled eggs? They're about the two least compatible items I can think of. And I'll be very honest here, I like them both a lot on their own, but never once have I ever said, "You know, I've just got a hankerin' for some broccoli. And I want it with deviled eggs on the side!"

In what I'm afraid is becoming a new trend in Recipecardland, there are no serving suggestions on the back of the card, but we are told we can use this dish as a vegetable, salad, or appetizer. I guess if you use it as all three, you don't need any serving suggestion dishes, though I really have trouble believing this would make an (excuse me) appetizing appetizer.

Oh, and it also bugs me that the deviled eggs are served vertically instead of cut in half and filled horizontally, which is the way God intended deviled eggs to be.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:

* I'm having a real crisis on my movie list, star-wise. I'm starting to mess with my own mind. I don't want to give movies the stars they deserve, and yet, I find myself giving more stars to some movies than they merit. Case in point: "In Good Company," which I enjoyed quite a lot and it actually ended right, a movie trait that's sorely missing in movies today, should have gotten 4 stars and yet it almost killed me to give it that. Then "So I Married An Axe Murderer," which by rights should have gotten 2 stars (if that), got 3. But then again, Alan F has a cameo in that that's absolutely priceless. Priceless. If your movie has Alan Arkin in it, you're liable to get a very lenient rating from me. Remember that, movie directors!

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Maybe you should set up an "Alan F" rating on your movies. Just rate the movies as you normally would, and then if Alen F is in the movie, it gets an exclamation mark after it?

Also, look at the broccoli on that card. Could they have boiled it in oil a little more to make it look even more disgusting? No? I didn't think so.

12:07 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

"So I Married An Axe Murderer" is one of those movies that improves on repeated viewings. It's dumb fun; I admit that I enjoy it quite a bit. Three stars is a fair rating.

Mmmm, deviled eggs. I have actually had what you might call a "hankering" for deviled eggs lately. It's a summer food, but I never get them unless I go to some picnic where they're being served because I don't know how to make them. What's the recipe?

I guess I could consult my cookbook, but you've got the card handy.

Blech. Broccoli. Hate.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I think you do need an "Alan F" rating. I always count in the Clooney factor when rating movies.

And as much as I adore broccoli, whose idea was it to be overboiled, green and mushy. Mmmm?

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home