Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Entering The Egg

Well, thanks to Mr M, the painting on my kitchen has begun. I've only had one small nervous breakdown, and Mr M's only threatened to impose bodily harm upon me once.

I'm not one for "theme rooms," though I had a definite theme in mind when picking out the colors for the kitchen. With the white cabinets and appliances, I chose a sunny light yellow for three walls, and a light gray for the fourth. My theme is, "The Boiled Egg." Why did I pick this? I've no idea, I don't even like boiled eggs, save for the yolk, but the colors just appealed to me when they were beside each other.

Anyway, I fear the project may take on the long-lifed time frame of my cabinets, but I'm trying not to fret over it too awfully much. Too awfully much. I'm sure there'll be at least a couple more nervous breakdowns.

But since we're talking kitchens, and since I did promise some people I'd participate in the questionnaire, here we go. But don't say I didn't warn you...

--Total number of cookbooks I own: 3, I think, 4 if you include the one I made myself out of compiled recipes I wrote into a blank book.
--Last cookbook(s) I've bought: The old Searchlight cookbook, off ebay. Circa 1948, it's the exact same cookbook my mom learned to cook with when she first got married.
--Last (food) book(s) I read: I couldn't possibly tell you. I really couldn't.
--Five cookbooks that mean a lot to me: Well, that's hard, since I only own 3. Oh, I don't have to own them. OK. Well, first is the above mentioned Searchlight for the above reason. I can remember that book being in my mom's kitchen drawer my entire life, in fact, it's still there, all torn up with pages crumbled. It's where her to-die-for fudge recipe came from, and her potato salad, and I can even remember making my own thousand island dressing from a recipe in it when I was just a teen. Have I used it since I got my own copy? Of course not. The other would be the recipe book I mentioned above, recipes I wrote into a blank book. That's because I took recipes out of other books and from TV shows and made my own cookbook right before I first struck out on my own. It was going to be my "survival guide" as far as cooking went - and you know, for a while I did use it. Just not a long while. I still have it though, after all these years, so it must mean something to me. The only other cookbook I can think of that meant a lot to me is one I don't even have anymore, called "Meals for Two." And that's just because I was young, the recipes were easy, and it contained the meat loaf recipe I used for years, the one that became "my" meat loaf to all those who knew me. I doubt I could even make that meat loaf anymore. I use a different recipe now, one that Mr M says is too heavy on the mustard.

So there you have it. My sad and sorry cooking history. There are a few things I do well, and I wish I had that Betty Crocker gene that allowed me to be freer and more experimental in my cooking. I guess the key there is to not care about failure. And wasting food.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Yes, yes, yes, it's time for Acrowinners! It's Summer, and time for "Movies."
-Honorable mention goes to Jellybean, with "Oldies featuring some lame ass cast." Seen it!
-Runner-up goes to DeepFatFriar, with "Obviously faked stunts leave audiences cringing." Yep, I cringe.
-And this week's winning acro goes to Michelle, with "Obviously, Fassbinder sucks, like, ass. Capiche?" Cracked me up, but Crisp is gonna kill us all.
Congrats to everyone, because everyone had at least one entry that could have landed upon the winners list. Thanks for playing!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't I ever win???????

11:03 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

Because you never play, asshole.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I won?! I am so freaking honored! Good thing Chris doesn't read blogs,eh?

11:59 PM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

Muy buena suerte with The Egg. I think lellow is a wonderful color for a kitchen. It's warm and inviting and makes you want to sit and breath deeply and sip coffee.

Post photos!!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home