Sunday, July 17, 2005

Picture Sunday

Hello to all out there in computerland. It's Sunday night, and you know what that means - another round of boring pictures from me!

Tonight's Picture Sunday is actually titled "Picture Sunday: The 99% Retro Edition."

Ever since the "Big Mother" blog this week, I've been thinking about old pictures. And looking at them. Sadly, I didn't find the photo in question, and the reason for that could be that it's sticking somewhere in my mind that as a present one year I framed that picture of Jacob and our turd-colored metal friend and gave it to her. That would explain my distinct absence of that particular picture.

But I found some other stuff, and some of it I may be using later on for when times get rough here in Picture Sunday. Like next week.

Anyway, our first picture this week is not retro, it's completely recent.

I hope some of you saw my Bonus Blog of Friday, where I told the story of my nephew and how I learned not to care if someone took my toys away from me. At the center of this blog was my teensy weensy Gumby, long gone now, a forgotten doo-dad in someone's drawer. At best.

Well, last night as Mr M and I were playing duets, who should pop in (scaring the absolute hell out of me - why was I so jumpy? was it the 47 cups of coffee I had?) but our friend ESP. She sat down in a kitchen chair directly behind me, and announced she had a little something for me. I turned around and screamed. I absolutely couldn't believe it.


Seems I'm not the only one who had a teensy weensy Gumby. Apparently it was one of her family's "bath toys" at one time, and she saw fit to bestow it upon me. Which is about the nicest thing I can think of. My Gumby! Thanks, E - you made my night.

Now to the retro section. I scanned several pictures of those oldies I found, and put them into two categories. One was "Famous People I've Seen." Our first of these is called, "Yes, I've Seen Elvis Costello (Many Times). What Of It?"


That was the first time I saw Elvis solo, with T-Bone Burnett. At University of Virginia. Great concert. Well, they all were.

The second of the old photos is called, "Yes, I've Seen REM (Many Times). What Of It?"


Can't tell you for the life of me where this one was taken, seen REM way too many times for that. Judging by the hair, I'd guess this was in the "Life's Rich Pageant" period, that was, what, 1986? Anyway, I just liked this one because of the demonic look on Michael's face. Believe me, folks, it's a lot more demonic if you can see the picture in person.

And speaking of demonic, let's take a look at the recipe du jour. It's a little something from Satan himself, the evil Beef Biscuit Pie!


Well, we have some beef, some celery, some pearly onions, well, one, anyway, and what might be some carrots, all topped with square bread with an "x" on top. And for the second week in a row the recipe du jour has reminded me of the Manson family. (Remember during the trial when they all burned an "x" into their foreheads?)

Not the worst dish I've ever seen, really. I just don't consider "pie" to be something with little bits of bread to be laid upon it. That's not much of a crust, really.

For those of you who yearn (and you know who you are), the serving suggestion says have this with a lettuce wedge with Russian dressing and apricot delight. But what if I want Italian - sorry, house vinaigrette - dressing with it? And what exactly turns an apricot into a delight?

Discuss amongst yourselves. And Happy Week.

Betland's Olympic Update:

* OK, I really didn't think it would ever happen, but this weekend Mr M was right not once, but two different times. He encouraged me to eat and not hate some corned beef, and I watched a WC Fields movie that actually made me laugh. I hope he doesn't get a big head over it. Well, bigger than it already is....

2 Comments:

Blogger Flipsycab said...

I'd call that Chunky Turd Pie.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

They look more like little tombstones to me. "Bring out your dead!" This should be called the "Sweeney Todd Pie"

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home