Sunday, August 07, 2005

Picture Sunday

Hello to everyone out there in Sundayland, and welcome to this week's edition of Picture Sunday.

My weekend was nothing to speak of. Believe me. And so rather than rehash it here, I'm going to take you on a little trip through the mythical world of make-believe.

You know, I'm me, and that's all I'll ever be, and sometimes I'm OK with that and sometimes I'm not. And even when I am, there's always going to be that part of me that dreams of being someone else.

Someone...oh, say, someone....



Yeah, I doubt there's not a single girl out there who didn't think of herself even just the teensiest bit as Mary Tyler Moore, throwing her hat in the air while making her way in the big bad world. With that awful woman looking on, seemingly in disgust.

But I have to tell you, guys. I know Mary's a major legend and all, but she was never really my favorite. Sure, she was great, but there was someone else I idolized as a child. Someone whose oh-so-cute pumps I would have gladly stepped into at a moment's notice.


Oh, man. Ann Marie, nee Ann Marie Brewster, the aspiring actress who got into more fun situatons (for my money, anyway) than Lucy, and who once starred in that off-off-off-off- (think New Jersey) Broadway production of "A Preponderance of Artichokes." And not only did Ann Marie have the spunk to try to make it in New York as an actress, she had pound-for-pound the absolute best boyfriend in the history of television, Donald Hollinger. I'd have married him in the first episode, I mean it.

Then again, do I really have the spunk to make it in New York on my own? I'm a small town girl. With an exceedingly wacky family.


And sometimes I believe I have family members that rival these. I never had a Lurch, though. Or a Thing. Cousin Murray was pretty fuckin' close to Cousin Itt, though.

You know, the above slipped into the realms of the surreal, just a little bit, anyway, but here's someone who was probably closer to me. The no-one in high school who longed to be a someone, who longed to be cool, and known, and have all the answers.


OK, so Lindsay Weir of "Freaks and Geeks" smoked pot a few years earlier than I did, and she actually had a boyfriend in high school, even if he was a loser and she broke up with him not long after they got together. But still, save for Ann Marie, I think I identify more with her than anyone else.

I coulda been her.

And now, back to the world of reality. Stark, ugly reality. The recipe du jour. Say hello, if you dare, to Breaded Turkey Breast.


Well, someone can't seem to believe it, anyway. Actually, I'll eat just about anything breaded, and this wouldn't be such a bad dish - if there was something to go with it! It's just laid there, bare, with not a sauce, topping, gravy, or anything else to cover its nakedness. Just some green stuff, which could be parsley, or rosemary, or, hell, grass, for all I know.

I guess the card people feel a little sorry for the dish too, because we get three sides and a dessert, and one of the sides is creamed corn, and I'm right there with them on that. I'll skip the rice (damn, talk about a dry meal), peaches, and lemon chiffon pie.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:

* Many thanks to Mike for tonight's final Mike Week topic, "TV Characters I Could Have Played." And thanks to Mike for making my blogging experience this week so fun. I hope I did him proud.

* And thanks to Mr M for taking me through the hell that is learning Paint Shop Pro. As you can probably tell, this was my first-ever time doing this kind of thing.

* And boy, did that picture from earlier in the week - me at five - come in handy again so soon!

5 Comments:

Blogger stennie said...

Bravo! I loved Mike Week. Nice photo editing, you maven.

2:26 AM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

You know, I've never seen one episode of That Girl, but now I'm going to look out for it.

I never really got too hooked on MTM because her show was a little before my time, but OMG I wanted to be Rhoda Morgenstern so badly because she simply has the best name in the world. I discovered this show in syndication and loved it.

You look great with that flippy 'do!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I had no desire to be Mary. Rhoda, once in a while, but Mary, never.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily's always struck me as the Phyllis type.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You earned your LOL! I love it that you want to be That Girl. You are SO That Girl. You even love Donald!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home