Friday, September 16, 2005

Oy

I should never have said it, I know. But I said it anyway, quite without thinking.

Only last night I was speaking to Mr M, who was telling me his woes about insomnia while on the road (he travels now, you know). And I started to extol the virtues of my new mattress, and then it just slipped out. "I could just stay in bed all day long!"

Well, guess where I ended up spending the entire damn day today.

It was the strangest thing. There I was last night in #squeeze, chatting away as usual, and wondering why I'd have a headache after 4 cups of coffee earlier in the day. (One must do what one can to stay awake during the kind of TheCompanyIWorkFor meetings I have to attend.) I kept trying to fight off the headache, but it finally won, making me say goodbye to my #squeeze friends way earlier than I wanted to.

Now, it took roughly 12 minutes, or the time from my turning off the kitchen light to climbing into my really, really comfy bed, for this headache to go from dull to throbbing to completely raging. And so it raged, through 1:30, 2:30, 4:30...and I lay in bed wondering whether my migrating brain tumor had decided it was going to burst or if in fact I'd contracted some kind of rural brain fever while on the wilds of Rt 460 earlier in the day.

Finally, round about 6:15 this morning I awoke again, head pounding, bathed in my own sweat - and here came the nausea! And the dizziness! Oh, boy! And so I spent about the next 4½ hours heaving violently every three minutes. It was not a happy time here in Betland.

I basically spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon drifting in and out of consciousness, snoozing, writhing, heaving, crying, pissing, moaning, whining, questioning the existence of God, and drooling. This went on till about 2pm.

At that point I hadn't heaved in a whopping 30 mintues, so I became very brave and headed to the shower. I showered, brushed my teeth, put on clean pajamas, and courageously - went back to bed. Where I stayed till 7 tonight.

Somewhere in all that this afternoon I got a phone call from The Boss, who told me she was informed by the district coordinator at TheCompanyIWorkFor, the one who organized the meeting, that there were apparently a couple of people there yesterday who were sick with some sort of headachy-vomity virus. Oh, thank you, dedicated TheCompanyIWorkFor stooges, for showing your sick faces at the meeting so everyone would think so highly of you. May the next time I heave be upon your shoes.

Anyway, I'm now sitting here in my still clean jammies, with my still clean teeth. I've eaten a small meal, and had about a half glass of liquid. My head still hurts, and I'm still relatively dizzy, but I feel like I'm at least beginning to mend.

And now I get to look forward to Oktoberfest tomorrow night! Oh, well, I guess I didn't need to get sworping drunk the first night anyway.

Happy Weekend.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* As I was coming home from the meeting yesterday I was driving through a little town called Lebanon. No, not that Lebanon, this is a smaller one near me. I passed a small auto shop on the road with a sign out front that said, "United Mufflers of Lebanon." Somehow I just loved that. I started to think of the shop not so much as an auto repair place than as a union hall, where the Mufflers of Lebanon all gather to band against the oppression of The Man. United Mufflers of Lebanon! Hell yeah, I say! Actually, I'm thinking of beginning a novel I'll call "United Mufflers of Lebanon." Then again, I do have rural brain fever.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

LilyG sends some chicken soup and a hug. And a fifth of scotch.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OH Bester, I'm sorry about your headachy vomitousness! I guess I was wrong about you being dehydrated ... THIS time. I hope you're feeling better and able to enjoy that soup!

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home