Sunday, September 25, 2005

Picture Sunday

It's late, but I'm here. And welcome to a seriously bringing-up-the-rear version of Picture Sunday.

Friday night I watched a 4½ star movie ("Layer Cake"), and hung around my computer till the wee hours of the morning. I became (ask the dishy Michelle!) quite the maven - well, wait, "maven" is a word I truly can only apply to Stennie, let's make it mavenette - by reinstalling scanner software, downloading printer drivers, monkeying around with changing my email program, and more. I was really proud of the whole email thing, but it turns out Thunderbird didn't have the one thing I love in an email. The chance to provide a signature line. So it was back out with that and back in with the old standby I was using before.

Saturday night it was back to B'burg, back up the mountain, and back to another Oktoberfest. Lots of people last night, lots of fun, and a possible, oh, let me figure here, 6 on the drunkometer. I was doing fine on my second beer and first shot of Goldschlager till Eddie (remember now, Eddie's the Jagermaster) handed around shots to the clarinet players after "The Clarinet Polka." That put me a little past the halfway mark. But it was all good, and our first picture tonight comes from the mountain. (As does our second, but we'll get to that later.)

You know, I like to pass around gifts from time to time. (Just don't expect one from me on your anniversary, see blog of Thursday, Aug 11, 2005.) In the past, re Sauerkraut Band, Mr M and I have started a tiny tradition of final night gifts. Year before last we gave Ed, our Fearless Leader (really, he's fearless), a set of wind-up hopping lederhosen, and last year we gave all the band members posters of The Jager Bench. We already have our this year's final night gift planned, and believe me, it'll be a doozy.

But last night I had the opportunity to give something else. See, I'd been wanting something for a while, something that didn't really exist per se. So I got the grand idea to go looking around on the 'net for someone who could create it for me, and damn if I didn't find someone. So I had them do it for me, and since I could order it in bulk, ordered up some and took them up the mountain with me last night.



All the band members got one, plus Oscar, head of the esteemed (if misunderstood) Krautheads, who just happened to be attendance last night. They seemed to go over well, and I was well chuffed when at least one person went right out to her car upon receiving hers and gave it a place of honor on her bumper.

Our second picture, also from last night, I'm still not overly sure what to make of. After it was all over, we'd played "Auf Weidersehen" and began cleaning away and packing, I went to take Sherman and Mr Peabody from their places on our stands. As I picked up Mr Peabody, I noticed something was a little different. He had - all the tickets from last night's raffle (prizes are given at intermission) stuffed down into his lederhosen! Was he trying to fix the winners? Was he the victim of a practical joke? We'll never know, but he's still carrying them around.



Last night's memorable quote, from a 4-year old girl brought onstage during audience participation.

Ed: And where do you live?
Girl: Daddy's house.
Ed: And what do you want to be when you grow up?
Girl: A rock star.

Well, the way things are now, she's only about 8 years away from her goal.

And now, it's time for the recipe du jour. And yes, folks, we've got another goodie for you. It's the one and only and never to be duplicated (well, one can only hope), Frankfurter Crown!



Imagine the excitement of this little number appearing on your dinner table! This regal combination of weenie tops and mixed up crap in the middle. Let's see, what's in that mixed up crap.... Bacon, onion, potatoes, cream of chicken soup - and green beans! That makes it healthy! And The Card says we have this with coleslaw and rhubarb pie! Now that's some fine eatin'.

And yes, I know what some of you are just dying to say, so I'll say it for you. The Frankfurter Crown - suitable for The Weenie King. (It's a long story....)

Happy Week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Today I found, quite by chance, a CD I've been looking for for some twenty-odd years. In fact, I'd looked so long I'd just given up hope of it ever being released on CD. It's by Doc and Merle Watson, is called "Doc and the Boys," and is the one album that singlehandedly turned me into a bluegrass fan. It was an amazement to find it, and I played it all the way home today.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bet! It was you that got us the SKB stickers?! Cool. Thanks so much. I think they're great.
-Mary

6:26 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

I want to wear the Frankfurter Crown and be the Weenie Queen! or the Sausage Queen of Chicago, whichever.

Why is Mr. Peabody flipping us the bird?

3:25 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I'll only eat that if I get the free rent and the trip to Palm Beach with the Ale and Quail club.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, i really like it. I also have a site about zinner clarinet mouthpiece
. If you are interested, please visit it here: zinner clarinet mouthpiece

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home