Sunday, September 04, 2005

Picture Sunday

Well, here we are yet again at another end of the weekend. But that's OK, because I don't have to work tomorrow! Wonderful thing about us laborers, getting our own day.

I did a full week at TheCompanyIWorkFor last week, but I had the week before that off. Which is not to say I didn't work. I cleaned out the dennette, which hadn't been cleaned in God-knows-how long, and believe it or not, it's still in a relatively clean state now.

But as happens when one cleans out a long-abandoned space, especially a long-abandoned space with a computer, books, and a lot of papers, one is going to find some lost gems. And so I did. And so I'll show them to you tonight, in Picture Sunday: The Dennette Edition.

The first thing I found was a doodle. Yes, friends, as you know, I am a doodler from way back, and it's about the only thing that gets me through those boring TheCompanyIWorkFor meetings. And that is indeed where this one came from, I can even remember doing this one. I'm sure I was doing it to keep from falling asleep there at my table, right before being led to the make-your-own-sandwiches table. I remember "segmentation" being discussed, I guess I was thinking about ice cream, and well, maybe I was hoping District Weasel Head would in fact morph into a chicken, thus making my 2-hour drive worthwhile. Didn't happen, though. Sadly.


OK, next are photos I found during my clean. One of the things I did that vacation week that I'm proud of was put something up on my walls. The walls of the Poderosa are hopelessly bare because I can't find anything I like well enough to put up (and God forbid I should try to create something myself to like enough). But on my vacation I took an afternoon and put together a nice Sauerkraut Band collage and hung it, hung the old pic of my dad I love (that I published here summer of last year - the "matinee idol" picture), and also framed and hung an old picture of my mom to go with it. This isn't the picture, because this one has those two damned spots I couldn't remove, but I actually like this picture better. Because of the glasses. My mom looks so cute, a kicky little smart cookie in this one.



And this is for the multitudes (wait, is two a multitude?) of you who requested more childhood pictures of me. Well, here you go, you asked for it. You're getting the whole gang here, the inseparable three (my sister on the left, me in the middle with cast, and cousin Jacob on the right), along with the inimitable Mamaw Bowles. This was at Mamaw's house in N'rows (it no longer stands, was taken by the post office), on Easter once many many years ago.


Ahhhh, olden days. Look at the sheer thinness of my sister's legs. No wonder they wouldn't withstand getting run over by a bicycle.

And that brings us to the end of another Sunday. Except of course, for that moment we all wait for with sweats and heart palpitations, the recipe du jour. Gird your loins and say hello to Waldorf Salad.


Now, I have nothing at all against a good Waldorf Salad. The problem here is that this doesn't seem to be one. To me, a Waldorf Salad is apples, grapes, walnuts, and mayonnaise. Hell, anybody who watches "Fawlty Towers" knows that. For some reason, the card people seem to think a Waldorf Salad contains bananas, which is gross, and miniature marshmallows, which is just, to use a technical cooking term, icky. And lettuce, which may just be a bed of some sort, but it's still uncalled for. Under any circumstances.

Still, the card says we need to nourish ourselves with this wrong salad and some fried chicken New Orleans, which we've actually used as the recipe du jour before, broccoli with lemon slices, and Devil's food cake. Eat up. If you dare.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:

* Well, I played the clarinet for approximately 3 hours today without dying, and the Hokies are losing. Looks like fall is here!

* Oh, my GOD. I just got a peek at next week's recipe du jour. I promise you folks, you do not want to miss next Sunday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

You're adorable! But you're right, that Waldorf salad isn't. Where's the horrible white drippy stuff that normally goes on it? (Okay, one of my pet dislikes has always been all order of white sauces and dressings). And those marshmallows just look really, really wrong somehow, even though they "belong" on a Waldorf salad (again, even though in my heart of hearts I know that marshmallows don't actually belong on any salad)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I don't want to miss any Sunday!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home