Sunday, September 11, 2005

Picture Sunday

Well, well. Guess what day it is? Oddly, for another half-hour, at least, it happens to be Sunday, and you all know what that means. Another hold-your-breath edition of Picture Sunday.

Today I found myself at the top of scenic Mountain Lake for Sauerkraut Band rehearsal and Oktoberfest set-up. We girls got the fun job, bypassing the heavy lifting, cable rigging, rafters walking, and sound equipment placing for hanging out with the lovely L at the merchandise table, unpacking, arranging, and tagging. We got to play with a crate chock-a-block full of stuffed animals. Just look - Mickeys, Minnies, Winnies, and Beanies, all with a German flavor.



After lots of set-up and meeting and greeting friends we hadn't seen in way too long, we got down to a little rehearsing. We had a nice Schunkel practice, and played some new songs that, well, had to be heard to be believed. And I'm not sure I mean that in a good way. Anyway, before the practicing began, The Boy and I posed for a little picture out there on the patio.


Peabody may not have been there in earnest, but he was certainly there in spirit, on my hat. And say, don't I look washed out in that photo? I'm blaming lighting. And yes, that is my #squeeze t-shirt I'm wearing. Anyone out there still wear theirs?

Oktoberfest starts next Saturday, which seems very soon to me, but I guess it is time already. So gird your loins and get ready for photos, folks. It's an inevitability.

But let's leave that for now. Because - it's time for the recipe du jour. It's time for the recipe du jour I've been waiting seven long days to present to you. If ever a recipe was filled with the spirit of my recipe card sets, it's this one right here. This is the OscarĀ© of recipe cards.

Say hello, my friends, to your worst nightmare. The Sandwich Loaf!


What - the - fuck - is - this? Well, of course, I've already answered that. It's our worst nightmare.

OK. It's got five layers of bread, salmon, cheese, and all the makings of egg salad. And a bunch of other stuff (olives, pimientos, celery, sour cream) that you add to the above to make variations of them. You apparently just take the bread, the items, and build like there's no tomorrow, and then - then! - ice it! With green cheese!! Green cheese!! Does it get any better than this? Sure it does! Then you garnish it with yellow cheese icing - and add fresh flowers!

I mean, really. What kind of demented June Cleaver thought this one up? I just wanted to be there when they were inventing this one.

Oh, man. It's a classic.

Happy week. (And after that, how could it not be?)

Betland's Olympic Update:

* Do you know that the passenger side of Podmobile2 has no keyhole on it? Is that standard on newer models? It's just weird. My passenger door looks naked.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my gawd.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my forrester, a 2004, has no passenger side keyhole either. just the driver's door. i'd have to go look but i am not sure the rear hatch has one either....

6:09 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

That is about as foul as they come...

1) That wouldn't have even looked good if it had been a sweet cake. Nothing that color green should be eaten.

2) The idea is also foul -- isn't the whole point of a sandwich that you can pick it up with your hands? Now I have been known to eat cake with my hands, but rarely in public.

3) For the fillings? Yuck. It looks like ptomaine on a plate.

I had been worried, as the recipes had been relatively edible looking lately. I thought you'd lost your touch. But no, I bow before thee.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This is SO NASTY! Ewwwwwwwwwwww

You know, I bought a #squeeze shirt that was just far too large to wear in public, so I wear it to bed, usually on Thursdays.

11:39 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

Is that "yellow cheese icing" actually what we mortals would call "Cheez Whiz"?

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home