Sunday, October 02, 2005

Picture Sunday

Hello, hello, hello. It's that very busy time of year for me, sorry about the bloglessness since Tuesday last, but now Sunday is here it's time for that little joy in the corner of your life, Picture Sunday.

Well, Friday was the first Friday night Oktoberfest. Good crowd, an alcohol-free night for me, since I was driving, I came back home afterwards after a stop by the grocery at midnight, in my Oktoberfest outfit, where I bought a few foodstuffs and about 40 protein bars. (I think they're phasing out the flavor I like.)

Then it was Saturday, where I had a driver and let the good times roll. Huge crowd, lots of fun, no "Clarinet Polka," tried the wild boar stew this time for dinner, and wore my new Oktoberfest dress. One size smaller, and red instead of purple. I don't know. I kind of liked the purple better.

Anyway, I was writing in my quote book like mad this weekend, and instead of one quote for you, I have two. First is from Friday.

Ed [to the crowd, before Tom plays "Edelwiess"]: And I'm sure you all remember "The Sound of Music...."
Tim: After two hours of listening to the Sauerkraut Band, how could they possibly remember the sound of music?

And the second, from Saturday.

Ed [again to the crowd, explaining what Gemultlichkeit means]: In other words, it means good food! Good beer! And good music!
A sardonic Mr M: Yeah, when are we gonna get some of that?

Ahhh, the fun we have.

Today I had the utmost of fortune to play a concert with the Community Band. It involved sitting out in a field in the hot blazing sun in black jeans for 90 minutes. Woo-hoo! Community Band played in Floyd County at the Pumpkinfest!

Ahh, there are the little devils right there.

It was, despite the heat, and the fact that I had to tackle with nature (bugs, grass, hay), a very nice area to have an outdoor concert. Mr M came along because word on the vine (pumpkins - vine - get it? it's funny!) was that clarinets were going to be scarce. Didn't turn out to be, but it was fun having him sit in after a rather long absence with our humble group. Here's a panoramic view of the beautiful Virginia countryside.

A fun weekend of clarinet playing. And why was it so fun, seeing as how I basically hate the clarinet? Well, because I spent Saturday and Sunday playing - my new clarinet! Yes, Mr M acquired yet another horn, and it was so magnificent he at first told me I couldn't buy it from him (I've been needing a second horn "just in case"), but he finally relented and is letting me not only buy it from him, but pay him in installments (the money will go to his "I want a new Rossi clarinet" fund).

This one is as wonderful as he told me it was, I can see why he balked at selling it, and as an added attraction, he found out it once belonged to a famous clarinetist. Who's now spinning violently in his grave after knowing how I've used it the past two days, I'm sure.

And now it's time for our recipe du jour. And tonight it's everybody's favorite, Shish Kabobs!

Here we have for your eating enjoyment some marbled meat (ooh! it's lamb!), cherry tomatoes, pearly onions, mushrooms, potatoes, and green peppers, all skewered right through the heart and grilled within an inch of their lives. Actually, it's not the worst-looking thing I've ever seen, and The Card says we get to splash some wine and tabasco sauce on them, too. And who can argue the fact that we get to eat them with a romaine salad with Russian dressing (the dressing that says "Emergency! Everybody to get from street!") and an ice cream roll. (I wonder if it looks like the Sandwich Loaf?)

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:

* Look for an update to the Galerie de Chien et Garcon soon. (OK, so it's a boring update. Sue me.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

This card stinks. This looks edible. No way!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a playing clarinet
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is playing clarinet

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, i really like it. I also have a site about blue bass clarinets
. If you are interested, please visit it here: blue bass clarinets

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home