Monday, November 14, 2005

Acrochallenge!

Wow. I can't wait to see myself tomorrow morning.

Now, don't get the wrong idea. I'm not expecting to wake up beautiful or anything. I didn't have botox treatments during the evening nor am I sitting here with a towel on my head while my new hair color sets in.

Today as I was leaving work I realized I really didn't want to go to the grocery. I needed lunchmeat, and cheese, and a new jar of pickles, but I figured I could stretch it out one more day and avoid the market on a Monday. However, there was one staple I knew I couldn't do without.

Coffee.

I mean, no coffee at the Poderosa means no reason to go on living. And so I decided to stop by a little convenience store before going home, just to pick up a small can, only they're not in cans anymore, they're in plastic containers, which I actually like way more than cans because they're cuter and more convenient. But I've drifted.

So I went into the store, where there was only myself, the counter girl, and a man standing drinking a cup of, well, coffee. I headed towards the back, and when I found the Magic Shelf I leaned over to pick up my container. And - *wham!* - I hit myself right in the face on one of those little "auxiliary racks" they sometimes stick onto the regular racks. You know, the kind that hold bean dip and air freshener sticks. Or in my case, Crystal Light.

I hit my face so hard that I actually reeled backwards and stumbled a bit. And it hurt, but, surprisingly, not that much, so of course I immediately set about the task at hand, which was to see if either of the other two people saw this happen. I looked around and caught Coffee Drinking Man chuckling. So I chuckled too and headed to the counter.

"I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you," he said as I made my way up there. "Ehhh, that's OK, go ahead and laugh at me," I replied. And so he did. I paid for my coffee, and while doing so touched my eye socket and was already feeling a knot appear. So I don't know if I'll have a black eye tomorrow or not, but if I do I'll be sure to take a picture for Picture Sunday and posterity's sake.

As I got into my car, I could see him gesturing while talking to the counter girl. He was telling her my sad and sorry tale, I'm supposing, by the smack he gave his eye region.

So this brings us to tonight's acrotopic: "How did you get that black eye?"

All the other rules are the same. Everyone gets three entries to come up with the best acronym they can that not only matches the topic above, but also the letters below, which are randomly drawn from the acrobasket. The acrobasket's never had a black eye that I know of, but he once told me he was kidney-punched by the red candle on my computer desk. I separated them after that. Then tomorrow night at about 10pm est, I shall be reading over the entries and doing the judging. The winner will get a nice, fresh, cold steak for his or her eye.

Again, the topic: "How did you get that black eye?" The letters:

N A R R W S

Ooh. That almost spells Narrows.

Now, box (and acro) clever.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Today was the first day of "The New System" at TheCompanyIWorkFor. God's teeth - what a nightmare. If they don't work out the bugs in the whole thing, I'll be on the roof with a shotgun by Christmas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Needed a roaster --rushed Williams-Sonoma.

Narrowly avoided red retina with steak.

Nasty attitude? Raging righthook will strike!

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

N A R R W S

North American Rail Road workers strike

Nearly a riotous row with Stennie

Never ask Rene Russo, "why Scientology?"

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nighttime Aiming? Roger's Retched. Wet. Slipped.
Needed A Rinse. Rough Water Stains.
Nevin Arrogantly Ran Right. Wooden Santa.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home