Sunday, December 04, 2005

Picture Sunday

Hello to all. It's Sunday night and we all know what that means - another Don't-Have-A-Nervous-Breakdown-From-The-Excitement round of Picture Sunday.

It was a pretty sedate weekend here in Betland. A nice Friday Chill Night, with a couple of movies, one of which was that nugget of glory known as "Repo Man." Now, that's a movie I love and haven't seen in many, many years. Imagine my excitement when I saw it was coming up on the Sundance Channel in just enough time for me to fix another coffee and get comfy in front of the TV. One of your more quotable movies, "Repo Man," but I shan't go through the list here. If anyone has a favorite quote, though, be sure to tell me about it.

It was to Mr M's on Saturday, where the fare was almost as usual. Clarinetting, an attempt at a movie (so bad we just couldn't continue), and a new wrinkle - Scrabble! I personally wanted to play Acro, since that's all Scrabble tiles mean to me anymore, but I submitted to an honest-to-God Scrabble game, and I'll be damned if I didn't win it. This is a big deal, as Mr M is a keen Scrabbler.

Today I didn't get kicked out of Mr M's early, as I'd expected, and finally roused myself enough for a trip to Office Max to look for something, which I found but didn't like. So while I was out that way I girded my loins and headed to Target, which wasn't quite as crowded as I was expecting, and I found my item there, and also perused the pre-lit fake Christmas trees. It's been how long now, 3 years? 3 years I've been musing a fake tree, and I still can't bring myself to do it.

Then it was home, where I took all the pictures for today. So I guess this week it's Picture Sunday - The Around Town Edition.

It all started when I saw this sign as I was filling up with gas yesterday. I loved this sign and knew I had to take a picture of it.



You know, nothing says "family" to me like cigarettes. And good thing, because apparently the Bailey's people agree with me. Bailey's Family Cigarettes, and there's Dad and Son enjoying a good smoke. The family that smokes together, well, I guess, chokes together.

After I took that picture and realized I had no others for tonight, I just zipped around town snapping photos. How lucky for you all.

Hey, did you know that B'field has its own geodesic dome? Well, we do. It's at the local college, on their gymnasium.



Next I headed towards town, with a stop at the Duck Pond along the way. The Duck Pond is pretty, but here's the thing. It's a pond, and it has ducks! And - it's the town's water supply. So for those of you who laugh at me because I have a water cooler in my house, well, you can stifle the giggling right now.



Oh. And if you've lost your soccer ball, that might be where you need to look.

Then it was to Town Itself. We're not a one-light town, we're a two-light town, but this is the main one. (Well, unless you go to the north end of town where all the new stuff is. A veritable plethora of lights there.) Let's see, there on the left on the corner is New Graham Pharmacy, and on the left about halfway up is TheCompanyIWorkFor. Riveting stuff. This is the main drag in town, but not called Main Street, oddly enough.



A little deserted, town on a Sunday afternoon. It'll pick up tomorrow.

And now to this week's recipe du jour. Have a bucket at the ready, because it's Barley Casserole!



Now, all I can say about this, besides "yuck," is that this looks very suspiciously like the famed Buckwheat Groats card of about a year ago. In fact, I'm convinced that this is indeed Buckwheat Groats, which I think I described as a bowl of meal worms or maggots or something, only with some rotini pasta and mushrooms added. And the funny thing is, this is under the category "Cook To Freeze." Now, as horrid as this dish is, I can't even fathom opening my freezer and seeing it, frozen, staring me in the face.

Oh, dear.

The card says we should have this lovely dish with - aaaaaaaaaa! With nothing! There's no serving suggestion! Just a big bowl of Barley Casserole and have at it. Boy, that'll make the kids happy.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Well, the worry has begun. The "For Rent" sign is out of the yard of the House to the North as of today. Who will be moving in? I'll keep you posted; but then, you already knew that, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda Shippert said...

When I build my dreamhouse, it's going to be a geodesic dome.

I, for one, don't laugh at you for having a water cooler in your house. I had a soft water system installed at my house, and even have a special tap for water that's been run through a reverse osmosis system. Because the water here tastes BAD, not to mention being runoff from a highly agricultural area. Mmm, pesticides!

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

1. My officemate's bf is named Bailey, so I copied the photo and sent it to her. Big kick!
2. You know that soccerball belongs to those ducks and they will peck your eyes out if your go near it. I smell a cheesy Disney movie with a weak plot and an obvious message: Mighty Duck Pond Balls.
3. B'field reminds me of B'ham, although I think B'ham as a few more lights in it.
4. Barley with pasta? Because everyone loves starch! Seriously, it should read "Cook To Gag."

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home