Sunday, December 25, 2005

Picture Sunday

On the 1st Day of Christmas, my blogger gave to me, a big whopping Picture Sunday....

Yes, folks, it's Christmas Night, and it's also Sunday Night. And you know what that all means. The gift that gives on giving, a special Holiday Edition of Picture Sunday.

Today was a fun day. I slept late, had some coffee, sorted out all my stocking stuffers, and headed to the folks' house, also known as Granny and Paw's. Soon after the whole family had amassed and we ate, drank, were merry, ate, opened presents, ate, watched TV, opened stockings, ate, and ate. I'm not sure we planned on eating that much, but, well, when you're at Granny's it can always happen. Ask anybody. They'll tell you.

Now I'm back home, and have a couple of pictures from the day.

And yes, I know what you're thinking? So, what did The Boys get for Christmas? And yes, I'm going to tell you. Much to the chagrin of Misters M and Peabody, Sherman got his very own guitar for Christmas. He was so excited about this - he's already asked me to hum a few bars of "Purple Haze" for him, which I'll gladly do, but I told him to maybe start out with some Ramones songs, since they go in for those "few chord" numbers. He's thinking of working up "Judy Is A Punk" for his first number.

Mr Peabody got a nice comfy rocking chair, for those contemplative moments, of which there will be fewer now that the guitar is in the house.



Mr Peanut got a money clip (for all that money he has from not spending it on helping me out around here at the Poderosa - sorry, the holidays always seem to bring out family hostilities), and Good Luck Baby Lily, who decided it was time to learn a musical instrument as well, got a shiny new flute.



Huckleberry Hound was overjoyed to get a scale model replica of his much-beloved Houndmobile. And Gossamer got an indestructible (and inedible) rubber duckie. I think they gave that to him in an effort to maybe interest him a little in bathing.



Now, when we were at Granny & Paw's, Sherman had an occurrence of the most fortuitous kind. He got to meet another celebrity, one Buddy Lee. In all seriousness here, sometimes the holidays bring those moments we are really not prepared for. Buddy Lee was a gift from me to my sister, and when she opened him, she was so overcome, she cried. Which of course made me cry, and so we sat there laughing and crying while she hugged her Buddy Lee. Here was the first-ever meeting of the greats.



Then came the moment Sherman had waited the entire day for. He got to jam a little with Taytie himself.



And a good time was had by all.

And speaking of gifts, tonight's recipe du jour is a gift in two ways. First of all, a gift to you because it departs from the regular card set. And second of all, a gift to me, because, well, it was a gift to me. A couple of weeks ago my buddy ESP gave me a recipe book. At first I thought, hey, this is just a regular recipe book, but this book is very deceiving. Because the further you get into the book, the more heinous the recipes get. Tonight we'll use something fun and festive in honor of the holidays. What says "Happy Holidays" better than some Bunny Cookies!



Wow. Them are some surprised-looking bunnies! Some silent surprised-looking bunnies, because the poor little fellers have no mouths. However, their pecan ears more than make up for it, and when I first saw them, all I could think was "Hey! These bunnies are in blackface! These are minstrel bunnies!"

Thank you, ESP, for the book!

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I got a bitchin' set of 120 Prismacolor colored pencils for Christmas. Let the drawing begin!
* I watched "The Miracle Worker" this morning. I hadn't seen it in years, and it was so much fun to watch again. That breakfast scene (which I once compared to Mr M and I playing clarinet duets) - Anne Bancroft and Patty Duke both deserved Oscars for that scene alone, and in fact, deserve to get one every single year from now on for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Buddy Lee??

11:19 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

Merry Christmas, Bet!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home