Sunday, February 26, 2006


Picture Sunday

Hello, hello. Today is Sunday. Today is my birthday. So welcome to a very special edition of Picture Sunday. Which has absolutely nothing to do with my birthday.

You know, when I was looking at some old blogs a while back, I found one written about the first, or second, I can't remember, anniversary of my blog. I told how I was a little surprised I'd stuck with it, because I seem to have this annoying habit. And that habit is finding something I like, getting very involved in it, probably way more than I should, then - *pffft* - abandoning it like yesterday's newspaper.

The example I used to illustrate this quality of mine was my rubber stamp collection. Many thousands of dollars spent, many man-hours of time invested, and where are my stamps now? Well, they're packed away in the deepest darkest recesses of my parents' house. I didn't even have the interest to hang onto them when I moved into the Poderosa, but I couldn't get rid of them, so I abandoned them in a closet.

After re-reading that blog after so long, I got to thinking about my rubber stamp collection. And though I'm sure I'm not going to resurrect it and spend more time and money than I have to keep it up, I thought I still needed a look.

And so Friday after work I went by the folks'. They're in Florida, so I had free reign to search around for where they ended up. They were in a closet behind a very large and cumbersome set of luggage, by the way. I picked up a cross-section of my collection, put it in a bag, and toted it home.

So this week I bring you Picture Sunday - The Stamp Edition. And I brought so many home that I'm going to give you samples all week. Why did I choose these particular stamps? No idea. Some made me laugh, some I thought would be useful on stationery, or envelopes, and, well, some were cheap. Cheap is always good.

How about starting with a real work of art? I mean, really! A real work of art!



This one's for Kellie, she of the oboe and acro, who loves all things bovine.



This one's for everyone - I mean, we all know this guy somewhere in our lives, right?



In my life, I guess he works for TheCompanyIWorkFor.

And you know, with the recipe du jour, we couldn't forget all things culinary.



Or libational.



(Mr Peanut likes that one.) But of course, there's always someone out there to stop all the fun.



Yeah. That guy's going to love what's on the horizon. It's the recipe du jour, Muffin Melt!



OK, before you ask, no. I've already checked the back of the card. No, there are no poached eggs on top of those burgers. I was sure there were, and I guess I was wrong. Actually, not that bad a recipe du jour. I love a purple onion on a burger, and cheese only makes food tastier. The Card says we get potato chips with this, and some relish - relish! gee thanks, mom! - some peppermint stick ice cream, and - nature's macaroons!! Remember nature's macaroons from a card some months ago? How could you not?

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* As of tonight, the Olympics are over. Hallelujah. They were probably the most boring games I've ever seen. Or maybe I'm jaded. Anyway, kudos to Joey Cheek, Apollo, the Flying Tomato and his snowboarding buddies, and especially those curling heroes. And everyone else, just go home.
* Please be secure in the fact that, yes, your Olympic Update shall continue.
* God bless Don Knotts.

6 Comments:

Blogger stennie said...

So if there's not poached eggs atop that burger, exactly what is there? What makes this different from just a "cheeseburger," which presumably we don't need a recipe for?

I thought it was poached eggs with tomato and cheese and onions (hold the onions on mine, please) and sausage patties, all on an English muffin. Which sounds pretty damn good to me.

1:50 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

PS: Happy birthday! A day late.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cow! What an interesting collection of stamps - I can't wait to see what else is there!!

I can't believe none of the Don Knotts bios have talked about the Apple Dumpling Gang - I just loved that when I was a kid - I think I must rent that for Ervin to see with me next weekend!

I'm so glad the Olympic update will continue! ]:8
P.S. - my secret code word verification thingy is bnfeamya. This seems like some kind of secret message "Been Free, am ya?" is what I interpret it as!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Betster! I love, LOVE your stamps! This is a great blog!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oops, I hit "return" too soon. Nature's Macaroons still sounds like a euphamism for shit. Sorry, but it is true. Poached eggs and shit. What a meal!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home