Sunday, April 16, 2006

Picture Sunday

Hello, Easter weekend people. It's time for another make-you-dizzy edition of Picture Sunday. I just got back from a very enjoyable Easter dinner at the sister's house. Very nice and relaxing. Thanks, sis.

Yes, spring is upon us. So I'm going to give you a few pictures of a definite springy nature.

The first is from B'burg. It's from Virginia Tech, right there in B'burg. Now, I can't really figure out much about this picture, but I like it. Is it a cemetery of some sort? Who knows? It's at the Turfgrass Reasearch Center at Tech, so I have a vague feeling it might have to do with different types of grass and really odd and creepy labels for them.



So, is it different types of grass? Is it dead soldiers? Is it late students who partied too hard one Saturday night? Is it turf researchers who just worked too damn hard? One may never know, but it makes for an interesting photo.

And what else does spring bring? Baseball! Not one of my favorite sports, but my dear nephew Taytie plays on the high school baseball team, so I went to see them play on Friday, which was a blessed day off for me. It was a very exciting game. Halfway through we were behind 6-2, and I wouldn't have given us a dime's chance of a victory. But never count those G-Men out, my friends, because we came back to win, 7-6, in the final inning. And the nephew had a good game, two nice hits, and a hit over the fence that was foul by about a foot. That one really got him; he thought he had a homer.

However, Saturday morning, this picture made the first page of the sports section of our paper. My nephew is the guy in the white uniform, not number 1, the one on the right with his face to the camera getting ready to turn the double play. I'll pause while you all cheer.



And forget that girl on the billboard. I don't know who the hell she is. Go Taytie.

And what else does spring bring? It brings Easter, that's what. And Easter brings tonight's recipe du jour. Sure, some of you crums have big fancy dinners, hams and turkeys and vegetables galore. But some of us crums have a more casual Easter dinner. And so from the "Lazy Holidays" section of Recipeland comes tonight's recipe, Easter On A Stick.



What could be more fun on Easter than a dinner full of foods on a stick? Nothing, that's what. So here's a dinner including everyone's favorite, pickle on a stick, and boiled egg on a stick. It also has vienna sausages on a stick (or what we here in the south call vienny weenies, or what my nephew used to call viennable weenies), the weenies are fancier for Easter because they're topped with mustard, olives on a stick, and of course your main course is a nice piece of roast beef on a stick. Because we're polite here at the Poderosa, you must have a napkin on a stick, and, from a suggestion from that magnate of nutrition Mr M, there in orange right underneath the napkin on a stick you'll see a vitamin on a stick. Just to keep things healthy.

Livingston the bunny is sitting by saying hello, and because she's always wanted to be in a recipe du jour, presiding over this week's recipe is the Queen of Easter, Lily on a stick. Lily's easy to put on a stick since she has that hole in her midsection.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Technical difficulties are over! The new podcast is up. Access it through iTunes or at http://hucklebug.blogspot.com.
* The G-Men look like they have Stars of David on their baseball hats.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "cemetary" is a VT turfgrass study that will eventually help the cemetary industry. They are seeking good-looking grass that needs the least amount of maintenance. The stones are to help identify the different types of grass and also to create interest in the project, according to an article that appeared last year in the Roanoke Times.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. It's cemetery. If you keep looking at it, even the correct spelling looks wrong.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Krizzer said...

Those Vienny Weenies don't look cooked to me. Are you trying to kill us?

1:06 PM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

I love the holiday meal on a stick! Not that I'd eat everything you're serving here (sorry, gots me hangups/beliefs) BUT I do love how much easier clean up is!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I don't like all this talk of things up holes in my midsection. You're talking to royalty.

And where are the schoolgirl panties? Since it's Easter, I'll let them be unused.....

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that girl on the billboard kinda looks like me. no, really. i was almost suspecting you of photoshopping it.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home