Friday, June 23, 2006

Another Friday Blog

Thanks to Stennie for keeping me in Friday memes. This one is kind of a, "Nyah nyah" to the world. Well, to you folks, anyway, and I'm so terribly sorry about that because I love you all and I'd only ever say, "Nyah nyah" to you in the nicest way possible.

Here are the rules: It's naming things that I have that you don't have. At first I thought this might be hard, till I looked at the items. Yeah, I can do this one, with maybe the exception of the last one. Let's give it a try.

Name a CD that you own that none of your friends does.
Easy peasy. Just got it this week. That would be "Get Some" (OK, OK, it refers to dancing), that ever-elusive first album by the Hackensaw Boys. Took me forever to find it, well, at a real price, some joker was selling it on Amazon Marketplace for an astounding $49.95, and although I love my Boys, I wasn't ready to jump at that. Good thing, because the next week I found it at a more reasonable price and scooped it up. Also-ran: The Vile Geezers - "Too Stupid To Quit," which I own because my ex-cousin-in-law Boyd was in the Vile Geezers. (I wanted so much to say The Stetsons - "Up Until Now," my dear nephew's band's CD, but since I sent so many of you copies I took myself right out of the loop on that one.)

Name a book you own that none of your friends does.
How about a book from about 15 years ago that gave me immense pleasure, "Youth In Revolt," by CD Payne. Tells of the adventures of Nick Twisp, an oversexed and hapless 14 year old. Also-ran: a book that gave me just as much immense pleasure, "Municipal Bondage," a collection of essays and lists by Henry Alford.

Name a movie you own on DVD/VHS/whatever that none of your friends does.
Well, if any of you own "Deadhead Miles," directed by Vernon Zimmerman and starring no less a person than Alan F Arkin himself, then you've been holding out on me all these years. Also-ran: Well, I doubt any of you own "Improper Channels," also starring no less etc, etc, and to be honest, I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I own it.

Name a place you have visited that none of your friends has.
This might be harder. I could say, like, the next town over from me, but wouldn't really be very fair, would it? I think I'll try Selsey Bill, an English seaside town which I visited in the middle of January and, well, that's not a lot of fun, is it? However, when I listen to Madness singing "Driving In My Car" and they sing, "I've also been to Selsey Bill," I always shout, "So have I!" I'm worried about this one, though. I thought of it as a teeny place but I know several of you have been to England. I'll hope for the best. Also-ran: I once had breakfast in Bean Station, Tennessee. Does that count as visiting?

Name a piece of technology or a tool you own that none of your friends has.
I can't imagine any type of technology that I've blazed a trail by owning. But I like that it says, "Or tool." Maybe I'll concentrate on that one. I can't say anything clarinetty because surely Mr M will have one, so let me go arts and craftsy. I have a paper-making screen. It's a little wooden framed screen you put pulp in to squeeze out the excess water out of and start the pressing process to make your own groovy paper. It's not technology by any means, but I'd certainly consider it a tool. Also-ran: You know, come to think of it, I do have several very sharp and nasty reed knives and pointy things I bought to try and learn to make oboe reeds, and of course never followed up on it. Kellie - don't tell me you've taken up reed-making since we last talked!

And there you have it. Happy weekend.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* No updates tonight. I'm just going to chill. It is Friday, you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home