Sunday, July 02, 2006

Picture Sunday

Hello to all you poor souls like me. Whining over the end of another weekend, and the beginning of another workday. But wait - some of you have tomorrow off. And even I have Tuesday off! So let's stop our whining and get right to another round of Picture Sunday.

Odd mail week in Betland. I've gotten a bunch of postcards this week. Yes, people I know are out there traveling and having fun while I'm stuck here at Betland, running the rides and cooking up the Weenies on a Stick. But that's OK. I can live vicariously through others, and even turn it into the special Postcard Edition of Picture Sunday.

First of all, the lovely Venice finds herself in Waikiki, Hawaii. Lucky Venice. And she sends this pretty greeting.



According to Venice, the sunsets are beautiful (looks to be), and she got her butt kicked in surfing for the second time. Wonder if she was in a surfing competition and got her butt kicked, or just got it kicked by the mighty pacific surf? We'll find out when she returns home, I guess. With a kicked butt.

Now, our friend and acroer DeepFatFriar is on an excursion to Alaska. Which is, of course, why I got this postcard from him.



He sent it from the airport. Then I became convinced that the Friar was lying to me and actually doing a vacational tour of airports.



Well, at least he was traveling, right? Anyway, finally some proof that he had in fact made it Up North, and when I say Up North, I'm not talking about Cleveland.



The back of this one says, in huge capital letters, "DUCK!" No, actually, I think it's an eagle. Then I got this postcard.



On the back of this one is written, "Inside Passage. Let's just think about that." Ooh, let's. Then finally, a boat.



Apparently the Friar was upon this very boat, where he saw sea lions and humpback whales. Bet it was almost as exciting as the airport.

So I hope you all had a nice time. By the by, the Friar's postcards to me all came to Mr M's, and were addressed to me, "c/o Mr M, Poderosa East."

And now is that very special time of the evening, as if all that above wasn't special enough for you. And I have to tell you something, people. Well, I'll tell you later, I think. Of course, it is time for the recipe du jour. For this week's recipe, the seed of the idea was planted by no less a person than Mr M himself, and I took it and ran. But not fast enough. It's from the "Unappetizing Appetizers" section of cardland, and say hello to it if you dare, Cream of Pickle Soup.



This little concoction is the perfect summer soup. It starts with a butter/flour roux, then all you do is add your cream and plenty of chopped up dill pickles. You take half the mixture and blend it, then add it back to the original. Then you take the whole mess (and when I say "mess," I mean it) and chill it for a couple of hours, for cream of pickle soup is a chilled soup. Then pour it into a nice tureen (that's the first time I've ever used mine up there), and top with a few sliced pickles and some dill weed. Served with a side of pickle relish. You know, cream of pickle soup is incredibly versatile. It goes well with lobster as well as a hot dog. But it goes best with a big dose of Bromo-Seltzer.

Funny thing about dill pickles. Why are they always advertised as "kosher?" I mean, a pickle by its very nature is kosher, isn't it, and just once I want to see a jar of pickles with the legend, "Caution: These pickles are not kosher." Just once.

Now, the story. I've wondered now and again if I'd ever make a recipe for the recipe du jour so disgusting it would make me puke. It almost happened today. No fewer than four times I found myself running to the bathroom in a gagging state. Of course, it may have to do with the fact that I hate milk, but folks, sometimes I really do wish the recipe du jour had Smell-o-vision. You'd all benefit from it.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I had my first swim of the season tonight! And boy, did my arms want to give out early. I guess walking doesn't really do much to strengthen your arms. I was totally done in at lap 34, but I went ahead and swam two more because, of course, 34 isn't a multiple of three.
* I also stayed for dinner at the folks' house afterwards, because it's the last night of my Uncle Carl and Aunt Maria's visit. I found out something interesting. Maria also likes to stare at me. A lot.
* Acro will be taking a July 4 vacation, since no one will be around on Tuesday. Actually, neither will the acrobasket. He's having a little cookout for the nicer baskets and bowls around the Poderosa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home