Friday, September 15, 2006

(Hello. You know, you write a blog this long in an hour, you're bound to have mistakes. Probably not 57 of them, like I did in this one, but a few. I've corrected them, well, all I could find.)

The Second Great CD Mix Exchange Track List

Hello, music lovers. There are CDs flying around out there, across our great nation, east and west, and right to your houses. Well, to your houses if you involved yourself in the Second Great CD Mix Exchange.

A little backstory for the uninitiated. The First Great CD Mix Exchange happened around March of this year, and it went a little like this: A track list of 25 songs, each song having a different description attached to it. You know, "favorite political track," "great live song." Then anyone who wanted to join in said simply, "Sign me up!" and they took that list and ran with it, finding their own personal song choices that matched those track descriptions. An exchangee would make a CD for every other exchangee who signed up; thus, if 12 people were in the exchange, you'd send out 11 CDs (you wouldn't send one to yourself, of course, unless you're just odd) and get 11 back. CDs were to be sent without track listings (this was one of the more confusing portions of the first exchange, which had its share of snags, but was a blast nonetheless), then track listings would be published in the exchangees' blogs after the CDs were sent out. And a good time would be had by all. We'd get to tiptoe around barefoot in the minds of those folks we only know from blogs and internet ramblings, and more people would visit our blogs, because they'd be heading there to see the names of the songs we'd put on our CDs.

Sounds complicated, but it wasn't. I think about a dozen people participated. Some of us had our own little rules we'd set for ourselves, like Stennie refused to put two songs by any one artist on hers, and I was determined to keep my 25 songs onto a single CD, so the math of song times was a little maddening. ("Hey! I need a 'song that makes you want to drink beer' that's under 50 seconds!") Anyway, it was fun, the tiny circle of my internet world broadened a bit, and I'm glad it happened.

Then - the Second Great CD Mix Exchange was announced. Just a couple of weeks ago, by Stennie, and I knew I couldn't refuse. These things are too fun, and I'm always welcome to hear other people's music, share mine, and spread the love. Only 20 tracks this time around, a blessing, as time wouldn't be of the essence. We had 8 exchangees for Exchange II, and there was only one category that really got me. On the first Exchange, there were a couple of categories that had me pulling out my hair looking for a matching song - like, "A song you like that you completely disagree with its lyrics" (if I disagree with it, why would I like it?), and, "A genre of music no one would have guessed you like" (everyone knows I like just about everything). This time around the only toughie was #13, "A song you've 'played out.'" I mean, if I've played it out, why do I want it on my CD?

But there you have it. I started coming up with a song list for my 20 tracks, and somewhere in there decided I was going to make not one, but two CD Mix Exchange CDs! Just because I could! (And it would make choosing between to the two final candidates easier and help to keep me from repeating artists on one CD this time around.)

At the time of this writing I've received four CDs. Stennie's and Flipsycab's came Wednesday, which couldn't have been better timing because I drive to B'burg on Wednesday nights. Fun, fun, fun from the Stenns and the Flips. Great driving music. Kelly's and LilyG's came today, and I can forsee a music-filled Friday Chill Night in my immediate future. They included track listings, but I'm trying not to let my curiosity get the better of me till I get home tonight and listen. I like to be surprised, but then again, I like to shake Christmas presents till they break.

And now without further ado, here are my track listings for the Second Great CD Mix Exchange.

CD One:

1. A Song you like to wake up to. "Jumpin' in the Morning," by Ray Charles. This little number, oddly enough, does not get me "jumpin' in the morning." It wakes me up, but I find it a great "lazing around the house till you're ready to start the day" song. There was a point in my life a few years ago that I spent every single Sunday morning the same way - sitting on the bed in pajamas, drinking coffee, reading the newspaper, and listening to side 1 of the "What'd I Say" album, which I truly believe is a gift from God above.
2. An "earworm" song - one you hear once and it gets stuck in your head all day long. "Clarinet Polka," by Bela Fleck. As a whistler, any song at all is earworm fodder for me. So I went to a higher power for my choices on this track. My TheCompanyIWorkFor workmates. "What do I whistle the most?" I asked, and the answer was unanimous: "Band junk." So I thought about the band junk that really gets inside my head, and thus the Polka. Hey, love me, people - I was thisclose to putting the Sauerkraut Band's version of this song on your CDs. I put Bela's instead because I think it's cute. As is Bela.
3. A one-hit wonder. "The Israelites," by Desmond Dekker and the Aces. I've no idea why I ended up with this one. There are many other one-hit wonders out there I'm closer to, but when I was looking through my library this one just kept coming back to me. I owned this record. Probably still do, somewhere in that box of a zillion 45s I have. It had a yellow label.
4. A song that makes you laugh. "I'm My Own Grandpa," by Homer & Jethro. The story of a poor fellow whose relatives just fucked his lineage up something horrible. Maybe it's my southern backwoods heritage that endears me to this song, but I can remember listening to it with parents and grandparents (who are two different sets of relatives) as a kid and trying to figure out the story. I was generally OK till about midway through the second verse, then I'd lose the thread. Took me about 30 years to finally get it together enough to believe it works.
5. A traveling song - one about traveling, or one you like to listen to while traveling. "Take You Riding in the Car," by the Babysitters. I knew this day would come on a Mix Exchange - yes, the Babysitters, featuring no less a person than Alan F Arkin himself. Not only singing, but doing the car noises as well. That's the great Lee Hays, Babysitter and member of the Weavers, he's singing with. Mr Arkin, I'll take you riding in the car anytime you want to go. You can blow the horn, you can kick paint off, I don't care.
6. A song you like that your mom would also like. "Fool in Love," by Ike & Tina Turner. My mom likes bluegrass and can flatfoot up a hurricane, but that's dad's influence. Her first love was stuff like this. I can remember watching my mom dance all over the house and thinking how she should be a dancer on "Hullaballoo." This is a great mashed potato song. That Ike was a card, wasn't he?
7. A guilty pleasure song. "Wishing Well," by Terrence Trent D'Arby. There's just something embarrassing about it. Probably the man himself, a pretentious Marvin Gaye wannabe, but somewhere around the, "riverboat gambler - he he he" part of this song something makes me realize it's too cheesy to admit an affection for. So I won't. Even though I have one.
8. A song you like to play when you're pissed off, either to cheer yourself up, or to let off some steam. "Fortunate Son," by Creedence Clearwater Revival. I had another similarly-themed song in mind at first (a possible podcast discussion forbids me from mentioning it here), but decided to go with this original "I'm sick of our administration" song. It actually cheers me up to sing, "It ain't me, it ain't me." But then I think about a jeans company using this song as a flag-waving commercial anthem a few years back, and I get angry again. And then have to play it over to cheer myself up again.
9. An instrumental song. "Jessica," by They Might Be Giants. I have no idea how I discovered this little gem, maybe someone sent it to me, or maybe I just saw it on the old Napster and it intrigued me enough to download. It's a great fun version of the Allman Brothers instrumental classic, done with trumpets, piano, accordion, and bass clarinet. The nerdiest song in the world, and I love it. (That's me on the bass clarinet, btw. Well, in my wildest fantasies.)
10. A song from a favorite music video. "Can't Get There From Here," by REM. This was the most fun video. Michael Stipe with peroxide blonde hair, haystacks and "peanuts for sale" signs along roads I'm sure I've traveled down Georgia way. I wanted to make sure that this video was as good now as I remembered it being then, so I went back and found my old copy. It is. No budget, nothing slick, just, well, fun.
11. A song from TV. Could be a soundtrack, theme song, or even commercial. "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah," by the Violent Femmes. OK, so it's a cover and not the original, but how could I not include Jet Screamer's #1 hit from the "Win a Date With Jet Screamer" episode of "The Jetsons." It's Elroy's song, not Judy's, but she wins the date. (Elroy and Jet on a date might have been interesting.) I blogged about this song last year. About how it's driven me crazy for nigh-on 40 years that "Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah" means "meet me tonight," though the song says it means "I love you." Screw a kid up, won't ya, Hanna-Barbera?
12. A kick-ass cover song. "Success," by Elvis Costello. I don't think I could put it any better than I did on the CD envelope description. Lyrically and musically, the perfect country song, sung by the perfect singer. I wish Elvis would do an "Almost Blue II" album. His voice and musical scale have grown so much since the first one.
13. A song you've "played out." In other words, a song you used to like but have listened to too many times. "Clove Cigarette," by Stephen Ashbrook. I found this in the good old Napster days when I had the intention of putting together a CD of smoking songs. I'd never heard of the song or artist. Still couldn't tell you a thing about either, but I fell in love with this song and played it over and over, till it lost its lustre. Rarely listen now, but I tell you, if I could play guitar I'd still want to learn this. Just to play along and sing, "Light me a clove cigarette, and pass me down the bottle. We'll raise our glasses high, and drink to no tomorrow."
14. A song about one of the Seven Deadly Sins. "The Dressing Song," by Michael Feinstein. I had a few songs floating around for this category, and I knew I wanted it to make sin fun. I chose this one, which is from that movie classic "The 5000 Fingers of Dr T," because it's just glorious in its greediness. It also brings in pride, lust, and gluttony. For me, anyway. Lyrics by Dr Suess, no less!
15. A song that makes you cry. "Satan's Jeweled Crown," by the Seldom Scene with Emmylou Harris. Emmylou has one of those voices that can make you cry like a baby if applied to the right song. And this is the right song. Everytime I hear her sing, "This life that I've lived, so sinful and evil...I know my reward will be Satan's jeweled crown," I just want to boo-hoo. And often do.
16. A song about a real person. "Elvis Presley Blues," by Gillian Welch. The first time I heard this song (thanks, Mike!), I was just blown away. I'm not so much the Elvis fan, and you might not be either, but how you can listen to this song and not end up with a certain affinity for the man is beyond me. Well bless my soul, what's wrong with me.
17. A song about music. "Sweet Soul Music," by Arthur Conley. Also a one-hit wonder (many of my songs ended up fitting multiple categories, btw) that mentions real people even (see?), I've loved this song since I was a kid. Not only is this a song about music, but it's a song about loving music. And really, who can argue with that?
18. A song with a one-word title. "Hell," by the Squirrel Nut Zippers. The song that makes Hell fun! And really, that's about all I have to say, other than I'll get on a jag every once in a while and play this song over and over. Haven't played it out, though, I still always enjoy it.
19. A song you like that your dad would also like. "Gospel Plow," by the Hackensaw Boys. You didn't really think I'd leave the Hackensaws off my Mix Exchange, do you? This has become the one song I wait for when I see them live, because it really is, as I said on my CD envelope description, "the sound of six men desperate to get into Heaven." And it seems like they do it faster and faster every time I see them. Go, Baby J! Play that accordion and sing like a man possessed!
20. Your first favorite song. "Casting My Spell," by the Talismen. Now, to answer LilyG's question, "How can you have 2 first favorite songs," I say, "Easy." I always have more than one favorite anything, and I divided it up between the two CDs into "first favorite record" and "first favorite song." This is the first single I remember from my childhood, and it was indeed my favorite. I even blogged about it a few years ago. It was rockin' when I was five, and it's rockin' now. Thank God I found it on CD, since I was playing my broken single up until then. Bit of trivia: lead guitar on "Casting My Spell?" Oh, some unknown hoo-hah named Jimmy Page.

CD Two:

1. A wake-up song. "Let's Have A Party," by Wanda Jackson. Now, unlike CD One, this one does get me up and moving in the morning. I mean, how could it not? Wanda has a voice that makes you want to jump right out of your skin. When The Nephew was about four, he used to sing this song all the time with me. He was particularly adorable singing, "Honky Tonky Joe is knockin' at the door, bring him in and fill him up and sit him on the floor."
2. An "earworm" song. "March, Opus 99," by Prokofiev. Another band song. It winds up and down and in and out and all over the place. One of the most fun band songs I've ever played, definitely the most fun march. Damn, I'll probably be singing it now for the rest of the day.
3. A one-hit wonder. "Let It All Hang Out," by the Hombres. This song is just weird. It's weird and dumb, and I love it. It also contains, for my money, the best use of a raspberry on a record, and doesn't the lead singer sound exactly like Jim Stafford? I even did some internet research to see if it could be, but never found an answer, so I guess it's not. This was big at our town's pool (Harmony Acres) during the summertimes of my youth.
4. A song that makes you laugh. "The Piano Has Been Drinking," by Tom Waits. I first heard this song on the old "Fernwood 2-Nite" program when Tom appeared and sang it. I thought, "Who the hell is this?" I honestly thought he was a comedian, some cast member they'd hired to be a fake musical guest. Ah, innocence. To this very day, my sister and I use the phrase "couldn't find ____ (fill in whatever the situation calls for) with a Geiger Counter."
5. A traveling song. "Cumberland Gap," by the Hackensaw Boys. Well, of course! Because it is 14 miles to the Cumberland Gap. It's always 14 miles to the Cumberland Gap, for the entire song, no matter how many times you listen. I hope they get there one day. And get to drink their liquor. Yeeee-Ha!
6. A song you and Mom like. "What'd I Say," by Ray Charles. I remember my mom singing and dancing to this one. Yes, all over the house. And to be honest and make a heartfelt confession, that "What'd I Say" album I'm so attached to - I stole it from Mom's collection. She's always been nice enough not to kill me. Thanks, Mom.
7. A guilty pleasure song. "Alright Now," by Free. Yes, for years, my #1 guilty pleasure song of all time. It's embarrassing, but so be it. I sing along, I bang my head, and now that it's out in the open I need not be ashamed. Well, too ashamed. Well, yes, I'm ashamed, but I can't help it.
8. An angy song. "Tattooed Love Boys," by the Pretenders. This song is the perfect "thrash around" song. It stops, it starts, it changes time signatures, it's got everything but the kitchen sink in it. And it's perfect for cranking up to 11 and hitting the gas pedal.
9. An instrumental. "Sleepwalk," by the Brian Setzer Orchestra. Such a nice song this is. I saw Brian do this live on some CMT television program, just him and his guitar, sitting on the steps of the Ryman Theater, and when it was over there were tears in his eyes. This version's a little more powerful and is backed by his band, but it's still good.
10. A song from a favorite video. "Song For a Future Generation," by the B52s. As you see, my videos are from the 80s, because I probably haven't seen a music video since then. I used to love this one, though, had dance steps and the members filming their own video dating tapes. Haven't seen it in years and years, though, but would like to again, just for nostalgia's sake.
11. A song from TV. "Girl," by Davy Jones. I just couldn't help it. From the classic "Brady Bunch" where Marcia promises Davy will play her prom. And of course he does, because she's Marcia Brady and everything works out for her. Davy wears some bitchin' white shoes in this episode. I'll never wash this cheek again! Or is that from the Desi Arnaz, Jr episode? I'm old.
12. A kick-ass cover song. "Uneasy Rider," by BR-549. A case of the perfect band/song cover. BR-549 were just meant to cover this old Charlie Daniels Band song. And it is indeed two covers in one, because the musical interludes between the verses are "Hot Rod Lincoln." They make some nice changes in the lyrics, like putting in George Bush, Bill Clinton, and Dale Ernhardt.
13. A song you've "played out." "The Devil in Me," by John Wesley Harding. Oh, how I used to love this song. I can't say I hate it now, it just doesn't hold the same excitement for me. It's a little hackneyed. And wasn't I nice to keep this on a separate CD from where I had my Elvis Costello song?
14. A Seven Deadly Sin song. "Beans and Cornbread," Louis Jordan. Hey, if these guys aren't filled with anger, I don't know who is! I often like to sit down at dinner and imagine my dishes hating each other. It makes life more fun.
15. A song that makes you cry. "Not Much of a Dog," by Michael Feinstein. This song probably more than any other makes me weep. Profusely. I think of all the dogs I've owned and/or loved. I can listen to this one and just about hold it together, but if I sing along? I'm gone, man. I'm just fuckin' gone.
16. A song about a real person. "Charlton Heston," by Stump. This has to be one of the odder songs in the universe. But how can you not love a song whose chorus is, "Then Charlton Heston put his vest on?" Well, you can't not love it, that's all. The rest of the lyrics are funny, too, which also makes it a song that makes me laugh, i guess.
17. A song about music. "Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues," by Todd Snider. I first heard this song on a radio station while I was visiting my folks in Florida, and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Still do. And it makes me laugh, especially the last line.
18. A song with a one-word title. "Radio," by One Ring Zero. Yes, the theramin! I say, more theramin in pop songs! The lyrics to this song are adorable, too, and isn't it fun to sing that refrain, "Fucking Good," over and over and over. Don't listen to this one with Mom in the car, please.
19. A song you and Dad like. "Miss Maybelle," by RL Burnside. Bluegrass and blues, my dad's two musical passions. This song really is a "kitchen sink" song. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn there's a person somewhere in there playing a kitchen sink. The samples and sound effects make it so much more fun, though.
20. Your first favorite song. "MTA," by the Kingston Trio. This was favorite song as opposed to favorite record. Though I sure did like the cover of the Kingston Trio's "At Large" album. They looked like such nice boys. "Kinda hurts my fingers." My sister and I used to sing this as kids all the time, and into teenagerdom, when the refrain, "What a pity," was changed to "What a bummer." Oh, how we did laugh. (By the way, the "question," of course, is, "Why didn't she just hand him a nickel?")

Hope you enjoy. Can't wait to hear the rest of your CDs!

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Doing this on my lunch hour. Time to go back now.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Tattooed Love Boys is an angy song, huh?

4:07 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

For some reason, the very mention of Ike Turner always takes me back to a classic edition of Late Night with David Letterman, a Celebrity Bookmobile sketch. The title of Ike's book was "Womens Be Thinkin' Too Much."

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sitting here reading this after having been haunted by the Girl from Ipanema for two days. What a fun list!

Listening now to Evanescence courtesy of the 13 year old, best described as Goth meets Abercrombie and Fitch.

Next up....Creed.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

THANK YOU for two great cds!!! I loved hearing the Kingston Trio again...my dad LOVED them. Dude, your dad and my dad could totally go bowling together.

And thanks for so much Ray Charles. I love that man!! And I think our moms might dance together too becuase my mom was way into Chuck Berry and all the grooves back in the day.

Also, if you can stand the UTTER silliness of it, you should watch The Stupids (a movie). Tom Arnold sings I'm My Own Grandpa in it.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's taken me awhile, but i wanted to share the highlights for me of your 2 cds from the last exchange.

from cd 1:
the israelites- loved it. never heard it before (that i remember) and you are so right about the possibilities of misheard lyrics.

i'm my own grandpa-i was following it until about the 2nd verse too! and then i just lost it and ended up laughing. i decided to just take it for granted that someone smarter and less confused than i am took the time to figure it all out and that the song is legit.

take you riding in the car- this kind of made me think of old disney songs.

fool in love- apparently my dad's family is full of tina fans. my aunt even does an interesting karaoke version of her version of proud mary. i was suprised i liked this song, actually.

can't get there from here- i recognized it immediately as r.e.m. then i also realized that i didn't know this song because they never play it on the radio. which led me to wonder, what other r.e.m. songs do i not know because i only listen to what they play on the radio, which is the same 5-10 songs over and over? my determination was that i should listen to more r.e.m.

eep opp ork ah-ah- i cannot tell you how i danced with glee when i heard this song. i love it. i love the whole 'saturday morning cartoons' cd itself. do you have it? isn't it fantastic?!?! excellent song. excellent.

clove cigarette- i like this song. vaguely think i have heard of stephen ashbrook.

the dressing song- fun fun.

hell- oh, i love this song! haven't heard it in ages so it was a nice refresher.

from cd 2:
the piano has been drinking- just plain strange!

girl- love davy jones and the monkees. love 'em.

radio- i kinda like this song!

thanks for the cds and the new songs, bet. i enjoyed listening to them. AND two for the price of one. why didn't i think of that? it woulda made it so much easier for me. :)

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home