Sunday, September 10, 2006

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders! And welcome to another scintillating round of Picture Sunday.

I had a good weekend. Forewent Friday Chill, or most of it, to attend my one football game of the year. I always do one high school football game and one band festival so I can see The Nephew and his band. He's captain of the drumline this year, and may I just say the GHS band drumline is seriously good. The football team, however.... We were losing 26-7 in the 3d quarter, so I got a ride home with some other people who were leaving. I couldn't take it anymore. Then I began chilling late.

Saturday morning, 9am, was the set-up at Mountain Lake for Oktoberfest. Normally this is a set-up and rehearsal, and I was extremely disappointed to find out that this year it was set-up only, no rehearsal, and so I took my good old-fashioned time getting there. Didn't arrive till about noon, hung around, did absolutely nothing but talk to people, not one whit of work, then ate lunch and had a couple of beers with the gang. We had schunkel practice at the lunch table. Then I watched people work some more (I know nothing about setting up lights and wires) and realized that I was basically just in the way, so I headed back down the mountain and to Mr M's.

(I did, however, learn an amazingly useful skill on the mountain Saturday. I learned how to open a beer bottle on a table edge. I opened everyone's bottle who wanted a beer. And I have the bruised and swollen hand to prove it!)

Mr M had a guest for the weekend, his old condo-mate from Maryland, Carl. Carl's a nice fellow, very personable, and didn't mind a bit that we played clarinet duets in his general vicinity. Later in the evening, Jude the Corruptor and his son (Corruptor, Jr) came by, and Mr M grilled us all steaks and we ate out on the deck, and talked and giggled way into the night.

Then it was home today, and the family all went out to dinner to celebrate Granny's (my mom's) birthday, which was Tuesday. Martinis and beers and general jocularity.

And with all that, not one single picture was made. And so, it's time for an old standby. Another round of Picture Sunday - The "On My Head" Edition!

Here we go. Hang on.

Help! There's a Blue Meany on my head!



He's getting ready to lay a hole in there. Not like it would be the first.

Help! There's a duckie on my head!



Not only that, but he's an evil Devil Duckie as well. It's hard to see, but he has horns.

Help! There's a woman on my head!



Oddly enough, this is this lady's second appearance in Picture Sunday. A year or two ago she made an appearance in the "Bet Goes To the Antiques Roadshow" edition of Picture Sunday. I think she was determined to be worth around a quarter.

Help! There's a TV on my head!



Nope, not telecasting the new Fall season, but that holiday classic, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." And in keeping with all things Rudolph....

Help! There's a gay elf dentist on my head!



I love Hermey. I'm thinking of letting him be my new dentist.

And that concludes my putting things on my head. Now time for the recipe du jour.

Pigs in the blanket, toad in the hole, Adam & Eve on a raft. In the grand tradition of representational meals, this recipe comes from the "Farm Food" section of cardland, say hello, please, to Needles in a Haystack.



Needles in a haystack is the lazy man's representational meal. All you have to do is upend a can of sauerkraut and stick in the needles of your choice. For this version, they're slices of a Slim Jim. So, they're big needles. That makes them easier to find. And they don't pierce the sides of your cheeks, though I don't know that I'll make that claim in regards to your colon. Served with a pitchfork as silverware, and you'd better hurry and get to your plate, because Pokey the horse is ready to eat the haystack if you're late. I just wouldn't hang around Pokey much if he gets to it first.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I have to tell you, my pink clarinet case was all the rage at band practice Wednesday night. I'm a trendsetter for the first time in my life!
* The CD Mix Exchange is now complete. I was ready to mail out on Friday, but didn't get the addresses till the weekend. If you're in, you'll be getting your CDs this week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Flipsycab said...

Sourkraut and Slim Jims? A match made in White Trash heaven. Kind of like Heather Locklear and David Spade.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love the Stuff on Bet's Head episodes! But Slim Jims... Betster... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home