Sunday, December 03, 2006

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders. And welcome to a very special round of Picture Sunday.

I can't believe the weekend is already over. I worked too much. I guess it's good to work, though, and I got a lot done, with some help from Mr M and Sherman.

Well, yes, Friday was indeed the delivery day of my new desk, and it sat here in a box in my floor until the wee hours of Saturday morning, when I started taking pieces out of the box. There were hundreds, some big and very heavy, and some tiny and very loseable. But I was careful, and set things around the room in neat piles, mainly determined by shapes and what I thought little pieces of hardware might be used for.

Running most of the day Saturday, to the store to get dinner ingredients. See, I had to promise Mr M dinner to entice him down here to work on the desk, and I thought while I was at it I'd make him a pumpkin pie (not a pumpkin pi) as well. Then he arrived and began the task of desk assembly.

We got done about 12:30 am, and that was assembling the desk, moving the old one out into the kitchen (we had nowhere else to take it - my poor kitchen), and placing the new one where it needed to be.

Then today it was finding a way to get rid of the old desk. The only solution I could come up with, seeing as how I was alone again (naturally), was to disassemble that one and carry it piece by piece out to the shed in my back yard. Which I did, and I no more got it done than it was time for Church Practice. Whoosh. A day gone by quickly.

But now is the time you've all been waiting for. No, there are no speeches from the mayor, which is not to say I wasn't hanging out with the mayor today, as he's my old band director and was directing me at Church Practice, but with a few fanfares and flourishes, let's unveil the new denette!

First of all we have to have some pictures of the old denette. Here's one.
















Damn, that is an old picture. Those curtains were up when I moved, and I took them down in the first couple of weeks. As you can see, it was a pretty dark and dingy place.
















Up there's a view from the old desk. With the old TV. And the old monitor. And hey, I remember when I had that magnet game on my refrigerator! (I took it off because it kept coming off when I opened the fridge door, and marbles would fly everywhere.)

Here's one more of old den.















Yep, and that was about what it looked like. The carpet was certainly cleaner.

And now may I present the new denette, or what two coats of paint, lots of elbow grease, and a new desk will do for you.

















Ahhh, now doesn't that lighten up things a bit? And even though the desk is quite a bit bigger than the old one, the fact that it doesn't have a hutch atop it tends to make the room more spacious. How about another view?

















And one more, just to say we gave it its due.






















There. I'm really happy with it, which is good, because I'm never ever, and I mean ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, doing it again.

And how about a round of applause for that little old deskmaker himself, Mr M. A very tired Mr M, he was when this one was taken.




















And no more magnet games on the refrigerator.

Yes, after all that, and Church Practice, I still had 30 minutes before "The Amazing Race" began tonight and I decided to whip up a little recipe du jour for you. I can even make the cards again, everything is back up and running.

This is dedicated to those of you who are shoveling out from under all that snow. And dying to get outside and make your first snowman of the season. Well, here's a fun number from the "Southern Gentleman's Breakfast" file at cardland, and say hello to it now if you will, it's Grit Man!






















What a cheery way to start the morning. This fellow begins with some instant grits (as many as you like, depending on what size snowman you want - if you're planning on putting your snowman out in the yard, I'd suggest 50 boxes and a big cauldron). Now, you must remember to go heavy on the grits and light on the water to get the consistency you need for the grit man. After he's done, just go wild. Please. Go wild, wilder than I did, because I have a rather empty refrigerator at the moment. However, my grit man has olive buttons, bean eyes, and even though it may look like a slug, it's not, it's a pickle for his mouth. Top with a hat and you have a breakfast, well, you have something. Personally, I don't like grits.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* By the by, I've found it much easier doing Picture Sunday if the pictures are aligned to the left instead of the center. Remember that if you're a picture uploader using blogger.
* Also by the by, if you're looking to mold something out of edible substances, try mashed potatoes. Grits are definitely not "art food." I'm really not even sure if they're an edible substance, come to think of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Flipsycab said...

Wow-the new room looks GREAT!! Congrats!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

That's one kickass gorgeous denette. I wonder if I can convince my parents to paint over the panelling in my old room. I always hated it. Congrats!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home