Sunday, January 14, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another round of "12 hours and I'll be slaving away for another week" Picture Sunday.

Tonight's Picture Sunday comes from a suggestion from Mr M. Now, I have to tell you that although the suggestion tonight was his, I've thought of doing this over the time that Picture Sunday has come to permeate my life, or at least my weekend.

One of my favorite magazines of all time, Games Magazine, used to have a regular feature called Eyeball Benders, and it was a page of strange photographs, of strange things and tiny bits of not-so-strange things, and your job was to guess what the photos were of. And so I'm lifting that idea from my favorite and (I think) now-defunct magazine. We won't call it theft, we'll call it an homage. Which brings us right flat-ass into Picture Sunday - The Play At Home Version.

Yes, I have some pictures here, and it is your job to guess what they are. We'll start with an easy one.




















Yeah, everybody got that one, didn't they? I sucked at Eyeball Benders and I would have gotten that one. So let's try one now that's a little harder.





















OK, that wasn't too painful, was it? It's a common item most people have, or should have, in their very own homes.

So let's do to another one, shall we?




















That one may be a little harder, so I'll give you a small hint. Think "Picture Sunday" on that one. Or all of these all too easy? If so, I can make them really, really harder on another night.

Finally, here's the last one. See if this rings any bells. And no, that wasn't a hint.





















Looks like a gray cookie to me, actually. Then again, everything looks like a cookie to me.

If you have answers, just be sure to shout them out in the comments, and I'll post the answers later in the week. As if you don't already know them all.

And now, yes, it's time for that very bewitching time of evening, the recipe du jour. Ahhh, yes, television. Well, a movie first, then as happens sometimes, television later. It's hard to get kids to eat a good healthy breakfast, and sometimes we need help from a higher power. No, not Him, I meant the TV. And so with that in mind, from the "TV-Inspired Breakfasts" file at cardland, say hello to "Kiss My Grits."


















Ahh, yes! Fresh from their appearance as the Grit Man, grits make a triumphant return to the recipe du jour. Inspired by Flo from the TV show "Alice" (the name of Mr M's kitty, of course, and I wonder if Robbie Fulks' song "Dirty Mouthed Flo" was based on that particular Flo), any kid would want to dig right into his grits if served this way. All you need are some quick-cooking grits (simple and oh-so versatile, if you're a recipe du jour maker), and a big juicy pair of red lips. Now, I know not everyone has the lip whistle that I keep for the Sauerkraut Band, but a nice pair of wax lips would work just fine, thanks. You could even try a wax mustache in there, or some wax fangs, but it wouldn't be the same. Flo never said, "Kiss my fangs," or, "Kiss my mustache."

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Update of the highest order. My clarinet playing was complimented by Mr M this weekend. He's apparently happy I don't go all hinky over playing fast anymore. Or, Mr M, maybe I'm just hiding it better! Ha-haaaa! You never thought of that, did you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

But what does "The Big Mel" taste like?

1. Music/scores
2. To me it looked like a seat in the Podmobile. But I'll go with tanned ass too.
3. The filter in your range hood over the stove. I took mine out and cleaned it last week. Either yours is brand new or you clean yours way more regularly than I do.
4. The underside of an iron.

8:32 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

1. Going along with Lily on music scores on your bookshelf.
2. I was sure this was the front seat of the podmobile, except you say "most people have these in their own homes." Mine is in my car, naturally.
3. No idea, and
4. No idea.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Your vinyl collection. All of your vinyl records.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. DVDs
2. Office Chair
3. Stove Vent
4. Comfy Chair

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home