Sunday, January 28, 2007


Picture Sunday

Well, hello there, end of weekenders! As you all know, I was iced in last week and that left you without a Picture Sunday, but this week I'm making up for it. Chockfull of pictures tonight, we are.

Now, I have to start with that little nugget in the corner. Yes, that photo is of none other than my very own nephew. Last Friday (that would be Friday the 19th) was the lad's 18th birthday. I guess officially he's not really a lad anymore. Anyway, he began the celebration of being 18 by playing the National Anthem at his school's basketball game. On the electric guitar. Yes, did his own little Jimi Hendrix, without the behind-the-head move and the pyrotechnics. He had to rein it in, as he lobbied to get the gig, and knew that if he wants it again, he couldn't go too nuts.

Anyway, it was very sweet, and I had to give him his props with a picture.

You podcastees (to the hucklebug) already know that that was my highlight of the week last week. Now for a little preview. My highlight of this week.

I went to see the Hackensaw Boys!

Yes, I know you all think I go see the Hackensaw Boys every night. I promise you I don't, and it's hard to believe it's been well over three months, in fact, almost four months, since last I saw my boys.

It was Morgantown, WV again, a place they sure seem to love playing, and though I can't say I'm much of a fan of the town (or the University contained in it), I always have such a good time at the old 123 Pleasant Street club, and always seem to meet some nice people while I'm there.

But let's get to the pictures, and the big news of the night is that after several months away from the touring life, new dad Mahlon Hackensaw is back mandolining it with the band. Great to see him, and I believe a round of applause is in order. You may begin now.





















OK, so he's not mandolining it in this photo, he's BabyJ's baby guitaring it, but that's OK. He was in fine form.

You know, speaking of Mahlon, I found myself uttering a line to Mr M last night after it was all over (in the very wee hours of the morning), a line I couldn't imagine myself ever saying. "Sometimes I find myself actually too close to the action. I mean, what kind of pictures can I take as close as I was tonight, other than up someone's nostril?"

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it when the Boys come down into the audience and start to jam. It's a total blast, especially if I'm lucky enough to tag in behind one of them so I can end up right on the peripherals of the action. That's what happened last night. Not only did I get hit in the head with Mahlon's mandolin, but I had to switch places with the Kooky-Eyed Fox so he could get into the band instead of me. However, his shoulder made a terrific tripod for taking pictures. Anyway, though, this is kind of what I meant about the nostril statement. In particular, Mahlon's.


















Other news included a tentative April date for the new album, and several songs from the new album in the set. It's going to be a good one.

Between the facts that the Boys came out into the audience, that they also played for an extended time right at the front of the stage, and that I'd staked out my usual "close as you can get" spot in the club, I came out with some really fun pictures. In fact, it took me forever to go through them and edit them, and choose what goes in tonight - I took an astounding 63 photos.

How about my buddy Ferd, I'm sure you're all asking. This was my favorite Ferd pic of the night, with the flying hair. I think this sums up the ball of joy that is Ferd Hackensaw in a nutshell.

















Never stops smiling, that boy.

Of course, we have to have a shot of Baby J Hackensaw, don't we? What a cutie. Bass, accordion, harmonica, guitar, vocals. Is there anything he can't do?





















In fact, how about one more of Baby J? This is during the "let's all go play in the audience," featuring the Kooky-Eyed Fox as tripod for my photography.





















After the show, Mr M and I had a nice conversation with Cousin Spits Hackensaw (guitar). He really is a nice fellow, to whom I confessed my secret that I'm scared to death to talk to all those guys. I don't know why, as friendly as they are. He seemed excited to get Mr M's business card, I'm not even sure what that was all about, and gave me some hints as to what the new album will contain. This photo is called, "One More."


















The "One More" of course refers to one more song before we all had to go back out into the cold. However, for tonight it has a double meaning, as in, "How about one more photo before we pack up the old photo bag for another week."

Before the night's festivities began, in fact, even before the opening band had completed their hour-long soundcheck, I heard some music coming from the bar area, which was a different room from the stage area. Just on a whim, I picked up my camera and went into the bar, where the Hackensaws were having a little practice session. I almost didn't continue in, since no one else was around and I was afraid of making a nuisance of myself, but I popped in just long enough to snap one picture. And I'm glad I did, because it might be my favorite picture I've ever taken of the Boys.



















And a good time was had by all. Except my 46-year old knees, who still aren't quite over all the dancing. Who cares, though, sure was fun at the time.

OK, that fun and frivolity out of the way, let's get to the recipe du jour. I decided since the theme here this week was the Hackensaw Boys, I needed to keep with the program where the recipe was concerned. So from the "Dancin' Dishes" file at cardland, please say hello if you will to Mac'n'saws.


















What self-respecting bluegrass fan would be anything less than thrilled to find the Mac'n'saws at his or her table? All you need to do is to make up some macaroni and cheese (the Mac of our recipe), and add some breadcrumbs along the top (the saws - as in sawdust, get it?). A meal fit for Bill Monroe himself, I'd say, or at least Ferd.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Line of the trip: in the car, Mr M mentioned that Mr Peabody (who was in my suitcase - Sherman always rides on the dashboard) had been reading, said, "I found out what he's been reading. He's been reading Boswell's 'Johnson.'" Then he had the audacity to start laughing before I could even come up with a smutty double entendre. How dare he.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home