Sunday, February 18, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to yet another Picture Sunday.

Little bit of a departure this weekend, a whole blissful two days at home. Got the house nice and sparkling clean, owing to the fact that I finally broke down and bought myself a new vacuum cleaner today. It's a long story, me and vacuums, and I'll tell you about it one day. I worked very hard on The Beast, aka the spare bedroom, which I have to do every six months or so, and got it back into a very manageable state. Practiced the clarinet, watched movies, watched TV, napped, did laundry, and generally enjoyed hanging around at The Pod.

And... I spent a good deal of time sitting inside watching it snow! We've finally had our first sizable snow of the year, and all I can say is, "It's about damn time." It's not winter for me until the first snow. It's not the biggest in the world, tiny by the standards of our friends in Ohio and New York, but still, enough to make me happy.





















And how about a snowy photo of the Poderosa for posterity?





















Now, I bet you don't know this, but I happen to know exactly what's on all of your minds. "Wonder whatever became of your rodent friend, Walter?" I'm sure you're all asking yourselves. And to be honest, I've wondered it my own self from time to time. Until today, when I realized I shall have to wonder no more. I can't believe I'd been worried about him, alone in the parking lot where I released his mousy ass after catching him in my house. Apparently, he's doing just fine.

























Escapes from lab. Lab, my foot. He escaped from the Kroger parking lot. Seems my worries about Walter starving to death were completely unfounded. The other two headlines are interesting, too. "Golfers learn: Never t-off T-Rex," which I happen to know is a very serious problem on the links today, and the story of my very own life, "Writer's Mind Wanders." Literally. I've yet to find it.

Now comes the fun portion of our Picture Sunday. The most current version of Newsweek.com (follow the link and you can find it) has a little feature where the editors decided that North Korean dictator and all-around fun guy Kim Jong Il needs a makeover. And they asked a few fasion designers to come up with ideas for his "new look." Then - they give you a template where you can design your own new look for Mr Kim. Or Mr Il. Well, you know me, I absolutely couldn't pass up a chance at this, even though I'm supposed to be spending all of my time working on the hucklebug logo, and yes, I know this, but I just couldn't help it.

Here's the original picture.

























First I decided Mr Kim (Mr Il, whatever) needed to get in the Southern Hillbilly Groove. Here he is, ready for a day out at the Farm Tractor Supply, in his bibbed overalls, t-shirt, and trucker cap.

























Then I decided he needs to go a little more upscale. After all, the Oscars are coming up, and something tells me he's just dying to be on the carpet answering the question, "Who are you wearing?" So how about a lovely green organza strapless number, complete with blue-pink back bow, sandals, and hair in a bun?

























The last one is my personal favorite. I thought maybe Mr Kim/Il needed to step back in time a bit, to circa 1980. New wave was all the rage, and black and white, skinny ties, and peg pants were in. It's a look that needs to come back - let evil world leaders show us the way!

























And here's where I'm asking something of you, my dear readers. I want you to do a Kim Jong Il fashion for me. I am serious about this. Go to the above link for Newsweek.com and you will find your way to the downloadable template. Or just use the one I published above. Make a little outfit for Kim (or Il), email it to me (agnes_g@hotmail.com), and I shall print it in my blog. See, that's my dream right there. To get enough to have a Kim Jong Il Fashion Show, all designed by you guys. Please, don't be shy - jump in and do it! Could your ideas be any worse than mine?

And now it's time for the recipe du jour. Today was a bad day, if you happen to be the maker of the recipe du jour. For the original idea tanked, big-time tanked, and I was left with a dishfull of glop and nothing to do with it. Quick thinking there in the kitchen, and I came up with this one. From the file in cardland labeled simply, "Yeccch," please say hello if you dare to The Leaning Tower of Potted Meat.






















Now, let it be known that I've got this thing about potted meat. I certainly don't eat it, but I do wonder about it often. What the hell is potted meat? I understand deviled ham, since you can devil an egg I guess you can devil some ham, I understand Spam, I almost understand Treet. But potted meat? What the hell is it!

Nonetheless I'd made up my mind that it might be funny to make a recipe du jour called "Meated Pot," which would be a pot made out of potted meat. However, I did not anticipate the fact that potted meat is the most disgusting substance on the face of the earth. It has no texture to speak of, it won't hold together, it sticks to everything including your hands, it smells like "potted" might mean "stored for 14 months in a stevedore's armpit," and it's just one hell of a disgusting proposition altogether. So when my bowl wouldn't hold and fell into a big pile, I went in a different direction. The tower. All it takes are potted meat and crackers. And an iron constitution.

Until tonight, Cream of Pickle Soup was the only recipe du jour to make me ill. Give me dill pickle-soured cream anyday. Potted meat is of the devil.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* I'm deadly serious about two things:
- I really want you to design Kim Jong Il an outfit for me. And
- As God is my witness, may I never - and when I say never, I mean never ever ever, touch potted meat again.

3 Comments:

Blogger stennie said...

Here is the direct link for the Kim Jong Il template:
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Galleries/nw_gal_kimjong_070213/nwk_KimJong_template.pdf

Now, I'm happy to do this and create a little somethin'-somethin' for you, but I don't have a scanner, and can't draw in Paint Shop, so I'll have to print out the template, draw on it (and I might have to buy crayons or colored pencils for THAT), and then MAIL it to you. So look -- I'm going to do it, but it might be a long time before you actually SEE it. Right?

I love yours, I especially love Elvis Costello Jong Il.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

I'm not much for coloring so I whipped up a picture in photoshop and emailed it to you.

I loved your creations. I always suspected Kim was a party animal if he only had the right duds.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Oh. My. God.


And yes, that's for the recipe du jour AND the makeover for the Dear Reader.

It's almost Oscar time. He's obviously ready to run past Joan on the red carpet to be asked who he's wearing.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home