Monday, May 14, 2007

Picture Sunday Delayed To Monday

Hello, Mondayers.

Well, I'm home, home from a weekend trip to see the Hackensaw Boys. And, yes, I'm calling this Picture Monday, even though it was the least picture taking I've ever done while seeing them. I took about five pictures. There was a point, standing there at the stage, where I said, "I've taken every angle of these boys I possibly can here on this stage," so I put down my camera and just about forgot it the rest of the night. And set my sights on having fun.

And it was fun. It was hot, and crowded, and fun.

The big news is that there's a new Hackensaw Boy, at least for a while. Yes, Paternity Leave has reared its head again, and this time, banjo player the Kooky-Eyed Fox is off awaiting the arrival of his first born. In his place, we welcome Plantain Hackensaw into the fold.

Yes, Plantain, who Saturday night got his Hackensaw Rite of Passage by having his picture taken with Sherman.

























For those of you keeping score at home, he was very nice.

The new album comes out June 19th. I bought a five-song EP at the concert, a preview, with three songs from the album, and two extras. If this is any indication, the album's going to be great.

I bought the EP from Salvage Hackensaw, whose charismo was upon a bar table. You know Sherman. Wherever there's an opportunity to have some fun, he can't resist.




















But here's the exciting part of the story. I'd had a little idea about Saturday, and decided to go ahead and try and make it my mission to see if I could pull it off.

You know, yesterday was Mother's Day. So I took a little generic "could be from anybody" Mother's Day card along with me to the show, just to see if I could get the Boys to sign it, and I could give it to my mom, aka Granny. She loves the Hackensaws, you know, and saw them with my dad last year.

When I got to Morgantown, I immediately went to the restaurant across the street from the venue to get a cup of coffee, as I normally do, because I'm always too early. Imagine my surprise when I saw across from me Ferd, Mahlon, Salvage, and Plantain, who of course I didn't realize at that time was Plantain, I thought he was A Guy.

One cup of coffee to steel my nerves, and of course, I went to the go-to guy, Ferd. I explained what I was doing, he grinned (well, he always grins), and said definitely, he was sure everyone would participate. Not only did he say that, but he got the first four signatures, including his, for me.

Then it was across the street to the club, where I eventually worked up the nerve to ask Baby J and Cousin Spits. Everyone participated, and, well, are those guys not the sweetest boys on earth?















Here's a close-up of the signature side.
























Granny was totally surprised when she opened the card yesterday, I just slipped it to her after giving her my card and gifts, with a, "Oh, someone else has a card for you, too." She went warm all over, and was honored that Ferd referred to her as "Granny Hackensaw." Now she wants to make them all biscuits and gravy.

So that was the trip, and that was Picture Sunday. Lots of dancing, singing along, sweating, sore muscles, driving, and back home last night.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Wanna do an acro? How about "I Took A Car Trip." Letters:

O K F O D

There you go. Now acro.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

What a great idea! They are such nice guys- and "Remember the Alamo" is making me laff!

"I took a car trip," eh?

OKFOD

Opossum killin' Ford Odyssey Drivin'

Oregon, Kansas, France, Odessa, Denmark!

Over Kentucky, Ferd Offered Dope

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

I am a bit concerned that Plantain Hackensaw put a question mark after the Alamo question, but I'm sure he meant well.

Off Kentuckyward, fueled on donuts.

On keyboards, Ferd oughta dominate.

Oh kewl! Friendly, open diner!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Flipsycab said...

I Took A Car Trip

O K F O D
Onto Kansas, Florida, Ohio, Delaware.
Only knowing four Ozzy ditties.
Ordering Kentucky Fried over dialup.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

This just in from DeepFatFriar, via messenger:

Osh Kosh? Far out, Dude!
Old Kennebunkport for old duffers.
Obviously, Kenneth, Florida's out. Dakotas?

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home