Sunday, June 17, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to a special Father's Day edition of Picture Sunday.

However, first, let's talk a little about mothers.

Yes, this afternoon, I walked around back to check on my duck. The duck (for the uninitiated) who's been nesting in a bush in my backyard. I went to have a quick look, only to find - she'd gone! She'd gone and taken her ducklings with her! Not an eggshell, not a photo op, not a thank-you note, nothing. She didn't even bring her babies out in the yard to parade around for me.

And now I'm alone again.

Boy, ducks sure are ungrateful.

I'm hoping to see her and the little ones floating down the stream one day, but I'm not holding my breath. Stennie was right. Birds. Sheeesh.

OK, let's get to the pictures, and celebrate that special guy - Dad. Today we all met at the sister's house to have dinner and celebrate Father's Day.

Now, earlier in the week when I saw my dad, I asked him if there was any special sort of gift he might have on his mind as far as the day went, and, well, he rubbed his head and said, "What I want, I don't think you can give me." Remember, two rounds of chemo have left my dad as bald as a cueball.

So I went on a mission, and decided that maybe there was something I could do about that. And along with his other gifts, I wrapped up a box that said atop it, "For the man who has everything...almost."

And inside? A week of hair!

It all starts on Monday. One needs to make a good impression on Monday, so I thought maybe the Cute Little Girl look would be the right fit. Complete with yellow bow.

























Stunning.

Tuesday is actually my favorite. After you've made a good impression on Monday, you can slide a little on Tuesday. Which brings us to the Drunken Wino's Bad Toupee look.

























Dad was a good sport about the sticky velcro used to affix that one to his smooth pate. As was the case with Wednesday.

Wednesday's Exotic Day, and so Wednesday's wig is something we call The King (I) and You. Because it has that Yul Brynner feel to it.

























There are also gold hoop earrings to go with this one, but Dad declined a tryout. Funny, he had no problems with the little girl wig, but the earrings were just too much.

Thursday is In The Hood Day, and no self-respecting man about town would go into the hood without his 'do rag.

























Did you know that 'do rags are hard to put together? Have to be a Rhodes scholar to get those things on and tied right.

Friday is the beginning of the weekend, and so of course it's time to let your hair (as it were) down. This makes Friday Country Day. Hee Haw Hair.

























And when you're through hoeing down at the square dance, you can come home and mop the floor with your wig!

Saturday is of course your big night out, and what says Saturday night out like a round of clubbing. And what says a round of clubbing like the Modern Rasta Dad.

























Dad has decided he's wearing this one to his next round of chemo. I kept saying, "But it's not on a Saturday!"

And that brings us to Sunday, when you need your most special wig of all, for church, dinner out, and receiving visitors. So it's only appropriate that you'd want the most hair of all for Sunday. Like, oh, say, Afro Bro.

























Actually, owing to the fact it had been in a bag in the store, this resembled an afro very little. In fact, it was decided unanimously that Dad doesn't look a thing like a Funk Soul Brother, but looks instead like comedian Marty Allen.

Anyway, it was worth the effort of getting everything together to give my dad that good of a laugh, which I did. In fact, we all did. And every Halloween from now on, he'll have a little side business renting out his wigs to family members.

OK, let's get to this week's recipe du jour. It was chilling in the fridge while I was chilling with the family.

You know those people who think anything homemade is better than anything you buy at the store? I don't cotton to that idea. However, there are those times when you just can't beat certain hand-created dishes. Like tonight. From the "Homemade Is Always Better" file at cardland, please say hello if you will to Peanut Butter.






















Yes, what could be better than homemade peanut butter. The real kind of peanut butter. The kind that contains peas, nuts, and butter. Mix the three together and let it chill, and spread it on a cracker. Or are you bold enough to make a sandwich? I'll bet you are!

For the cost-conscious, this little foray into the recipe du jour cost an astounding 50 cents. For the peas.

And you know, I've been tempted before, and found myself standing there tonight saying, "You know, I like peas, I like nuts, and I like butter. Should I?" And for the first time ever, I tasted a recipe du jour. And you know what? It was yummy! I ate a whole cracker.

Which begs the question. If I eat the recipe du jour, and it actually tastes good, does that make it a colossal failure? I'll have to ponder that while I munch on another peanut butter cracker.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Not even a note! Not a, "Thanks, but I'm taking the babies and heading south." Nothing!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Sweetness! Your father is such an amazingly good sport! And what a great gift idea. You are such a good daughter. I am partial to the rasta wig myself and I hope he takes to wearing that one about town.

As for your recipe, I think it isn't a failure if it at least looks gross, which believe you me, it does.

11:19 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

If we're voting, I'm in favor of the doo rag myself.

Your situation with the ducks is very similar to what happened to Tony Soprano in the very first episode of The Sopranos -- a family of ducks settled in his pool, only to take off again and leave him all alone, which made him very sad. And we all know how that turned out.

Actually, we don't have any idea how that turned out. /still bitter.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

You are awesome, and your dad is a great sport. If I had known you were going to do this and you were going in for the lovely stereotypes, I would have sent you my Chinese Mandarin hat with the pigtail coming down the back.

Dinner, however, looks particularly unappetizing today. And I'm not even sure why. Peas with butter? Yummy. Nuts roasted in butter and salted? Yummy. I'm sure even peas with butter with slivered almonds on top would be good. (Peas Almondine). But this kind of looks like -- baby diaper food.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Bet said...

And here I was thinking it looked like a brain.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home