Sunday, June 24, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders. Welcome to an incredibly meager edition of Picture Sunday.

Meager because I went to Mr M's Friday night and forgot to bring home my camera. This is a shame indeed, because this evening I installed a new toilet seat in the Poderosa bathroom. If ever there was a picture opportunity I daresay that was it, and I was quite proud of myself after the job was completed.

Not only that, but my new toilet seat is a Cushy! I have no idea what that means, it can't be top of the line because it was quite cheap, but it's, well, it's a Cushy! I'm surprised they don't have commercials - "Look, Ma! It's a Cushy!"

I also worked a little on the lawn today. Now, you know and I know (well, maybe you don't, but I do) that my lawn is hopelessly dead and beyond repair. I'm just at this point, as my mom says, "Playin'." I bought some dirt/fertilizer stuff that I spread out over the dead grass seeds that are in the dead dirt, tamped it down, and within - well, within nothing - it started to rain while I was out there, and I stayed there in the rain, putting down dirt and tamping it, and getting nice and muddy.

I'll keep you posted.

Let's see, this is good. Last night after I went to bed, I was flipping through channels on the TeeVee, and saw on my trusty digital cable guide that some channel was showing a program called "The States." I thought, "Hmm" (and not much else), and hit the "information" button. I got this little nugget of wisdom.

THE STATES (2007): "Georgia, Colorado, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Maryland, DC" - Examining Georgia, Colorado, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Maryland, DC.

Well. Guess they told me, didn't they.

The other big news around here is something I alluded to in Thursday's blog.

As we know, my boy Sherman is something of a wizard in the garden. Not only can he grow any flower or vegetable you can name, but he's also a master at crop development. Every summer, he comes up with a new vegetable hybrid and grows a crop of it. He's produced, in the past, the Shermanhead Melon, Shermanhead Peach, Shermanhead Carrot, and Shermanhead Squash.

Well, this year, folks, he's outdone himself. He's gone way beyond the call of gardening duty, and come up with something I'm sure you'll find hard to believe.

May I (and Sherman) present to you now - the Shermanhead Pickle!


























It's an amazing feat, but here you have it. An actual pickle grown from the ground. No brine, no pickling time, no worrying about spices. It's all done in the seeds, and comes off the vine as an actual lightly dilled pickle. It's going to be a summer of tuna salad and hamburgers of delight with a crop of these little magical fellas around.

Thanks to Mr M, who took the picture of the first-ever Shermanhead Pickle.

And now to the recipe du jour. And - hey! Could it be? Yes! Someone has volunteered to make, photograph, and contribute a recipe du jour to Picture Sunday! And that someone would be none other than the DeepFatFriar, who's spending a little quality time at Mr M's, Poderosa East, this weekend.

And this recipe du jour will probably tell you as much about the Friar as you need to know. It's from the "Constructive Breakfasts" file at cardland, and please say hello to it, Biscuits and Gravy.






















Yes, wooden joiner biscuits immersed in that most southern of treats, gravy.

These words come from the Friar his own self:

"High in fiber, difficult to cut. Just buy a can of gravy, heat it up, and add the biscuits. A real treat when watching the home fix-it shows on PBS on Saturday afternoon."

I love the layout. And I love the pig. The pig is really digging those biscuits and gravy. Then again, he's made of wood.

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Surreal TV moment this morning. Watching "Face the Nation" on CBS, and the host went to a "panel of experts" for a political discussion. One of the political experts was actor Sam Waterston! I'm sure it's because he's on a TV show with Fred Thompson, but Jesus Christ, that's just odd.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger stennie said...

Perhaps Sam is an expert on how fucking annoying Fred Thompson is.

I was really hoping for a picture of your Cushy toilet seat. At first I assumed that meant it was one of the spongy toilet seats that were always in my grandma's house. My grandma's toilet was always cushy.

7:31 PM  
Blogger stennie said...

Of course, I read your blogs very carefully, so I know WHY there's no picture of your Cushy toilet seat. Now I do, anyway, after reading it a second time.

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang - sorry I missed "Face the Nation" - Loved the biscuits!!

My Gramma also had a cushy seat!

PS - my verification is half spanish:
gltorojo - maybe that means red glitter-o???

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home