Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Picture...Tuesday?

Hello. I didn't plan it. I thought I was through with pictures for the week. I thought wrong, I suppose.

For I have two completely unrelated stories to tell tonight, and both are accompanied by visual aids, as we say in the blog biz.

I've been carrying something around with me for a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to post it here in the blog, and I keep forgetting. But today as I was rumbling through my handbag, the handbag that contains two checkbooks, two wallets, clothespins, hand sanitizer, extra keys, multiple empty bank envelopes, and more store receipts than any one person should be allowed to own, I found the item once again.

That's nice, as I never found what I was looking for, because while going through all that handbag stuff I kind of forgot what it was I was looking for.

The item I put away was a coupon. Which I pronounce kew-pon, much to the dismay of Mr M, but it was given to me by my sister, who thought I'd enjoy it.














Yes, it's a coupon (or kew-pon) to Belk, an upscale department store in this area. Belk is a nice store, but I seldom go there because they're a little high-end for my handbag, which is full of everything but money. As you can see, Belk was having a sale wherein with this little coupon one could get a big fat 15% off ladies' handbags, fashion jewelry, watches, and fashion accessories.

My sister didn't give me the coupon because she thought I'd enjoy a big fat 15% off ladies' handbags, fashion jewelry, watches, and fashion accessories, though. She gave it to me because of the back of the coupon.

The fine print.














Yes, as you can see, maybe, because it's quite fine, the fine print says that I can only use my coupon once, and that I can't redeem this for cash, or use it on phone orders. Or with Early Bird or Night Owl specials. It also says, and I quote:

Excludes all designer jewelry, Carolee Jewelry, Lauren Jewelry; all designer handbags, Fossil handbags, small leather goods by Fossil, Polo; sunglasses by Kate Spade, Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, Juicy; belts by Fossil, Polo; fashion accessories by Lauren; cold weather by Lauren, Echo; watches by AK Anne Klein, Juicy, Fossil, Guess, Kenneth Cole, Nautica, Tommy Bahama, Skagen.

In other words, a big fat 15% off ladies' handbags, fashion jewelry, watches, and fashion accessories, except those brands of ladies' handbags, fashion jewelry, watches, and fashion accessories that we sell here in the store.

And I really don't see where Belk has any kind of ownership of cold weather, apparently Lauren does, but since it's June now I'm not interested in any anyway.

Speaking of Belk, ever notice how fancy cosmetics and perfumes never go on sale? Sure, they might add a $2.00 canvas tote bag with every tube of mascara costing $40, but they never have an "all creme eyeliners half-price" bust-out. Even when the creme eyeliners are dangerously close to going out of fashion.

Anyway, enough of that. Here's the big news around the Pod these days.

I'm about to become a mother!

Well, of sorts.

When I got home from work yesterday, I saw the folks walking around the outside of the Poderosa. Seems Dad wanted to give my yard a mow, since he realizes that with graduation and a summer of fun and community service, getting the nephew to do the task would be akin to getting 15% off a pair of Kate Spade sunglasses at Belk.

I put down my things and tried to help with mower bag emptying and weed whacker lifting, and then Mom took me around back to show me something.




















If you'll look closely, in that bush, which is right up against the back of the Pod, is a nesting duck.

She won't move, so the neighbors drop her bread crumbs into the bushes. Every once in a while I'll hear her quack, and she was very kind to let me take this picture, breathing very heavily while I was doing so. I promised her I was not out to take her eggs, I just wanted a photo.

I don't know the gestational period for duck eggs, and don't know how long she's been there. Our expectant mother has had visitors, though. The Ducksons from down the stream stopped by to say hello.




















As soon as I have babies, I'll let you know. I think I'll decorate in pink and blue!

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Acrowinners, we have acrowinners. So, what did Baby J say after the cheek-pinching?
- Honorable Mention goes to Kellie (with an ie), with her, "Bet, Incredible Nervous Grip. Unabashedly Tenderhearted."
- Runner-Up goes to LilyG, with her, "Baby I? No. Got upset, typing."
- And this week's winner goes to the DeepFatFriar (going by his new name, anonymous), with his, "But I never get underwear thrown!"
- Actually, what he said was surprisingly tame, and Kellie (with an ie) came fairly close. It was simply, "Awwwww, that is so sweet."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Congrats on the impending arrival. And I knew I was sunk as soon as I saw the underwear acro.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

You missed the big ticket item for that coupon. It clearly stated "15% off..even Red Dot". I've been paying full price for my Red Dots. You have a great discount there. I'd fill my trunk while I had the chance. Belk Red Dots are the highest quality too.

Those ducks will need a little sailor outfit.

9:53 AM  
Blogger stennie said...

Look, just FYI, as a concerned friend. Those ducks are going to kill you in your sleep. Get them off your property if you know what's good for you.

Signed,
Stennie the Bird Hater.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Stenns- your hatred of birds includes harmless little duckies?

I think it is wonderful that she chose to have her babies in your yard. I thought ducks mated for life though. Where's the daddy?

Apropos the coupon: so basically, you get 15% off of red dots? I used to LOVE that candy and I really miss it. I didn't know they were still being made by anyone. I think a discount on something that yummy is a good deal.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home