Friday, August 10, 2007

Having A Wild, Wild Weekend

It was 85 degrees in my house last night. I kept hoping when I finally went to bed, well, not to bed but to couch, for I decided to try a sleep in the living room of my heat pumpless home, that it would at least cool down to 80 or so, but not to be. It was 85.

I was lying on the couch, panting, sweating, and wide awake, at 2:40 am when out of the blue, a thought found my head and hit it like a brick. My car's state inspection sticker expired in July.

I can't believe I forgot, and I can't believe I never got caught. Especially since I've driven all over town for over two weeks, back and forth to B'burg several times, and all the way to Elkton, VA and back. I guess I've been lucky, well, in that respect, but I knew now my lunch hour was pretty much shot today while I went to the garage to be inspected.

I fell off to sleep at about 4:15, woke up, in a sweat, and got ready for work. Lunch hour did in fact consist of state inspection duties, and I found out during this that I need two new front tires. Badly. Badly and baldly, because the garage fellows told me my front tires were so bald they should actually have rejected me instead of giving me a sticker. They like me, though, and said that if I promised them I'd replace those tires within the week, they'd pass me on through, and I did. And I will. I don't want to be traveling around on bald tires.

From there it was to the bank, a trip during which I had to pass by the Poderosa. Imagine the squeal of delight that threw itself from my body when I saw the Furnace Man's van in my driveway. I figured I'd have just enough time to go to the bank, come back to the Pod, bat my eyes and say, "My Hero!" to the Furnace Man, and grab something to eat before heading back to the office. However, when I arrived back home from the bank, the Furnace Man had *whoosh!* taken back off on his way to help out some other poor soul, and I was left alone.

With a wonderfully cool house.

It completely changed my outlook on life. I spent the afternoon at work full of energy, shopped after work, came home, cleaned up the house, made dinner, and watched a movie. And now I'm ready for bed, to wake up early tomorrow and begin the Podcastathon.

For some strange reason, I'm looking forward to it. I think it's going to work, and I hope you'll all join Stennie and I as often as you possibly can. We'll need buddies and moral support.

I have my Podcastathon Preparedness Kit ready, too.




















Yes, there's my coffee, coffee filters, which are holding some Tylenol and Soltice for head and neck aches, snacks like Nip Chee crackers (which we call Nabs around here), peanuts, and protein bars (I'm planning on gaining 10 pounds in 24 hours), Tums, and a list of Podcastathon topics sent in by our kind listeners.

We'll be posting the first podcast at 9:00 tomorrow morning, and going, twice an hour, till 9 am Sunday. Everyone is welcome - the time has come to help us kick cancer's ass!

Betland's Olympic Update:
* One last time, if you're interested in helping us raise money for the American Cancer Society, please read on:

1. Go here, to www.hucklebug.com.
2. Read all about it.
3. It will direct you here, to the American Cancer Society online donation site. It's very user-friendly, and will even let you make a donation in memory of someone, or in someone's honor, and it will send a card for you, too!
4. If you don't feel happy with online stuff, go here. It takes you to a page with the American Cancer Society's address for mail-in contributions. Write a check, stamp an envelope, and let the good times roll.
5. Then - and this is very important - Go right back here, this is the hucklebug.com site. Click where it says "comments," and let us know how much you contributed. You don't have to sign up, sign in, leave your name, or anything else. If you want to be anonymous you can, but you can advertise your generosity to us in all capital letters if you like. We need you to do this so we can keep track of how much we're raising for the American Cancer Society.

OR!

If you want to make a pledge and follow up on it after you know we completed the podcastathon, just go here, to the hucklebug.com site, and say, anonymously or not, "I pledge so much." Then when you know we were successful, contribute online or by mail.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Duke said...

That's about as sorry an excuse for a goodie basket I've ever seen. The only essential you have is coffee. Where is the chocolate? Peanuts are fairly oily but you need some seriously greasy snacks like fritos or potato chips. Protein Bars????? You gotta be kidding. You don't need no protein for a podcast. You need salt, grease, coffee, chocolate, sugar and something that looks like food but really isn't like a corn dog. That stuff will keep you going all night. What you have looks like a party tray from a L.A. Krogers if it had celery sticks in it.

You won't make it 12 hours with that stuff.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Yay Furnace Man!

Here's another podcastathon topic -- what SHOULD be in your all-nighter food stash? When I used to pull mid shifts, I'd buy the following food for the week:

Big tub of hummus and bag of baby carrots (have to pretend to be healthy). Jar of Nutella. Tube of cheddar cheese crackers. Tube of McVities Plain Chocolate Digestive Biscuits (don't let the name put you off -- those are some of the loveliest fat-laden yummy cookies ever). Some hunk of chocolate.

In college, it was much simpler for an all-nighter. Sour Cream and Onion potato chips (Ridges or Pringles). Pint of Steve's or Ben and Jerry's. Two-liter bottle of Coke. Entenmann's raspberry danish twist. I'd make people eat a bite of the danish, take a few chips and a spoonful of ice cream, so that way I could say "it's not like I ate them all myself...."

2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home