Sunday, October 07, 2007

Picture Sunday

Hello, end of weekenders, and welcome to another action-packed (heah me? action-packed!) edition of Picture Sunday.

Not action-packed, actually. (Heah me? Not action-packed!)

But yes, my friends, it happened this weekend. The miniature nervous breakdown I told you was coming. I had it, and I think it's over, though I didn't have a bed at the time to lie down and boo-hoo upon. More about that in another blog, though.

Because it's sorely needed around Betland, though, we have a very special round of Picture Sunday. Yes - it's Picture Sunday - The Silly Edition!

I love finding silly things. Silly things like the store coupon I found some months ago for "15% Off Everything in Our Store" at Belk, with the fine print that named the exceptions to the 15% off. It was basically everything in the store.

Monday, I found a picture in our local newspaper. It was on the front page. It made me laugh.



















OK. The picture itself is funny enough. But the caption - "The landfill's new mascot, Stowie [a landfill needs a mascot!], dressed in green...." Thanks for letting us know. We'd never have identified him otherwise. (And was there an old mascot? Smello? Trashford?)

I see a bleak future for Stowie. Showing up at local events and having kids throw garbage at him. It's going to be a tough row to hoe for Stowie.

Then later in the week, I had a most fortuitous happening. Found money! Found money is one of the great joys in life. You know, you get out your winter coat when the weather turns, and there's a five-dollar bill in it. That's high livin', man.

Well, imagine my joy at unzipping the seldom-used compartment at the back of my pocketbook and finding a neatly folded - fifty-dollar bill! Yes, it was weeks ago my mom, heady with a bingo win, slipped me a fifty and said, "Buy yourself something with this you need. Like gas or something."

And so I did just that. I went on a spree of dennette improvement. I've been working on the dennette since the cigarettes ceased, and so I decided to continue the sprucing by buying a nice blue rug for in front of the door, one that matches the blue walls, and a smaller matching one for in front of the TV. (I need one there to cover the wire from the wall to my modem.) Then I bought a magazine rack to sit at the computer desk to hold cardstock, photo paper, and the occasional stray album. The wood matches that of the computer desk, aka the Nerve Center. Finally, I bought two cheapie little end tables that also match the Nerve Center. One to hold my printer now that a turntable has dislodged it from its rightful place, and another for near the door, to hold books and magazines.

The tables came in a big, square, flat box, so it was no surprise that assembly would be required. No matter! I got out my trusty hammer and tool kit, opened the boxes, and prepared to have at it.

I pulled out the instructions. They began:

READ BEFORE BEGINNING ASSEMBLY!

Read each step carefully. It is very important that each step of the instruction is followed carefully and in the correct order. If these steps are not followed in sequence, assembly difficulties will occur.


Sounded foreboding. I girded my loins as I turned the page to see what they had in store for me. Here are the dangerous and difficult-to-follow instructions.



















Well, let me tell you, it was a struggle, but I managed to do it. And in the correct order, thank you very much.

I'm a genius.

OK, now time for a recipe du jour. And tonight, we have a brand-new contributor to the du jour world. Let's see, we've had entries from Mr M, the DeepFatFriar, LilyG, suggestions from many of you, and now it's Duke's turn.

Duke sent me a suggestion for a recipe, complete with picture, and well, if ever there was a time I needed a recipe, it was right here in the middle of Oktoberfest season. And it fits in perfectly with our silly theme. So from the "Dine With The Stars" file at cardland, will you please welcome it into your homes, Mickey Rooney & Cheese.





















It looks fairly easy to accomplish. All you have to do is make up some macaroni and cheese, Duke seems to prefer that awful boxed kind, which is odd since he's a fellow southerner, but we won't try and hold that against him. Then before stirring and putting into the oven, you add your Mickey Rooneys. Duke has added six, two less Rooneys than there are Rooney wives. Then (and I'm assuming at this point) you bake the whole concoction till the cheese is melted and creamy and the Mickey Rooneys have a nice brown crust.

Good, good eatin'. Perfect meal for after putting on a show in the barn. Thank you, Duke!

Happy week.

Betland's Olympic Update:
* Tomorrow's a holiday. Well, a legal one, not a TheCompanyIWorkFor one. However, mail won't run, and I want more CD Mix Exchanges!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

HAHAHA I love the Recipe! Thank you, Duke.

Bester, do we get pictures of the New and Improved Denette?

I hope that you are feeling better after your breakdown.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Duke said...

Those instructions sure looked tough. I guess people need to know not to screw in the blunt ends or it would take all day to assemble. Reminds me of the time I found instructions on a box of tooth picks.

The recipe is much better baked to a golden brown as you suggest although if you buy canned Mickey Rooneys they are already cooked. Those can be stirred in and eaten immediately.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I always knew those Bingo grannies were trouble, but I'm glad to see you got something nice out of it.

Great recipe. Can you jazz it up with a side of Judy Garlands?

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home